choke Question

Rolson1

Cadet
Hi guys have a question I have a 1969 Johnson 85 Hp Hyrdro electicdrive
Model# 85ESL69M what I would like to know is I have a electic choke switch in my boat but the switch is not hooked up. Can I hook that up to my motor?And how for as far as color of wires. Also I have a Hight temp light in there also that is not hooked up can anyone give me some advice on the 2 things possibly a wiring diagram heheee any help would be greatful thanks
Roger :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: choke Question

Overheat light = Any terminal of the ignition switch that has voltage applied to it ONLY when the key is in the ON or START position.... a wire from this terminal to one terminal of the overheat light. Another wire from the other overheat light terminal to the overheat sensor that's located in the cylinder head which would be a TAN wire. That same TAN wire should be available at the instrument wiring harness at the dash area.

Choke switch = A wire from that same ignition switch terminal (hot when key is ON, etc) to one terminal of the choke switch, then a wire from the other terminal of that switch to the choke solenoid. The wire from the choke switch to the choke solenoid is usually Purple with a white stripe.

At the engine, if that choke solenoid has two wires, one of which is purple/white and the other purple/yellow.... connect both of those wires to the purple/white wire that exists at the engine's wiring terminal.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: choke Question

See if this works

Edit guess it didn't. I tried to post a daigram, but guess I don't know how