Choke on a Holley 2bbl carb on a Cobra 4.3

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was told that the choke on my Holley 2bbl carb on my 4.3 Cobra setup is heat activated i.e. when the engine reaches operating temp the choke plate is fully open.

The lever that operates the choke plate is fine but the choke plate won't fully open so past 3k on the tach she coughs for more air.

I've looked at the OEM manual and I can't find if there is an adjustment or what I should do to get that plate to fully open, and stay open. Right now I've got a tie strap on it but it gets in the way of the throttle control cable. I'd like to fix this right.

Any ideas from the carb experts out there?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Choke on a Holley 2bbl carb on a Cobra 4.3

On the side of the carburetor there should be a black plastic housing with a line up notch, there are some markings that rich lean with an arrow, thats your adjustment loosen the three philips head screws and turn till the choke just closes with key off, now turn key to on position and the choke plate will open after about 2 minutes, the choke operates on a signal from the ignition not engine heat.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

a70:

Thanks so much, just the information I was looking for.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Make sure when warm it is opening all the way. You can adjust the choke cover to open the choke plate as well. If the choke bi-metal spring is getting weak, its better to have less choke when cold than too much when warm.