"choke" not working

monolithic

Cadet
82 115 L6, The choke just quite. Is the so called choke just a shot of fuel into the carbs? What can I do to get it working again.. Cant find a shop manuel in my town so its tought to figure out. Thanks

monolithic

Cadet
Re: "choke" not working

pleaase help.. My Dad always had Mercs. Old black with a silver stripe 650,, That thing always ways great..

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

It sounds like you have an enrichner. There should be a yellow black wire going to it. See if you have power there when you push the key in.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I dunno, on an 82? Not sure if those had primers or chokes. If it's a choke, there'll be a simple solenoid that should pull the choke flaps over the carb throats, probably on 2 of 3 carbs. In either case, test like IBNFSHN suggested. Only difference would be the wire color I think. Just find the unit and you'll find the wire.<br /><br />If you have the primer, there has to be fuel pressure there to squirt the gas. As you crank the motor, that will slowly build. But if you squeeze the primer bulb until it's firm, that's all it takes. And yup, the primer or enrichener solenoid squirts a dose of gas. I think early primers only shot a fixed amount of gas just that one time. You might have to hit the choke switch repeatedly to get more to squirt.

monolithic

Cadet

WELL it turned out the enrichener was finished, dealer wanted $270 can, told me about a fellow that lives on the same road as i do and he had just bought a 90 hp for scrap.. sold it to me for $5.. he also helped me solve the flat spot problem. said that i needed to turn out the jets at least 1 3/4 turns to make it take that first bit of throttle.. works great now.