Choke lever on 89 40 hp evinrude

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What does the lever do above the throttle on this engine? The motor has throttle and a hot foot peddle. When I lift it (the choke lever) up I don't feel it pulling any cables and I don't see the choke or anything moving at the carbs with the engine cover off? Is it a choke or is it electronic? I just got this boat and am restoring it. Motor runs, but I have no idea what that lever does. Doesn't feel like it does anything to me.<br /><br />Any explanation would be great!<br /><br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Choke lever on 89 40 hp evinrude

Usually if you have a foot throttle the cable isnt even connected to the control box so the throttle advance lever on the box does nothing. The only thing you use the control box for is shifting -- as far as the cables go. There was a foot throttle made some time back that used both but I havent seen one in quite a while.

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying the foot throttle, when depressed, may be choking the motor when it's in neutral or during my attempt to fire it up? Does pumping the bulb from the fuel tank supply enough priming to fire the motor and choking is not necessary?<br /><br /><br />I have a 2003 28 foot Wellcraft with twin Yama 225's and to me those are simple compared to this!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

An 89 doesnt have a choke at all. It should have an electric primer that is activated by pushing in the key when the key is in the "On" position. When you activate the primer it squirts fuel directly into the motor.<br /><br />That lever on top of the control box simply allows throttle without going in gear. If the throttle cable isnt connected to the box, that lever nor the control handle will advance the throttle or rev up the motor at all. Thats done with the foot throttle. Just like your car.

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks man! I just couldn't figure it out. Thanks again.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Youre very welcome. If you need any other help just ask away. Sometimes I'm as clear as mud but if you hang in there long enough we'll get it figured out.<br /><br />Good luck!