Choice of motors, opinions needed, Project boat/projectmotor

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
I'm lookin to build a sport hydro in the future and thought I would look into a few motors. The plans for the boat are from the 60's. I've been lookin for one with HP range of 35-60. I found a few and am wondering what everyone thinks...<br /><br />Year unknown 35hp Sea King-missing spark on one side, heres a pic<br />
c5_1_b.JPG
<br /><br />the other one so far in this dicision is <br />a Lark III with good Comp, has not ran since 92. <br />
aa_1_b.JPG
<br /><br />Both have electric start. Please give any and all opinions I can expect from either of these.<br /><br />Plan on more poppin up in the near future. I have done business with the seller before and have been quiet satisfied with them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Choice of motors, opinions needed, Project boat/projectmotor

Keep the Lark. Put the other one on ebay for parts.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The Sea King is a Chrysler...put it on ebay... or use it for an anchor.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

So it looks like I'm leaning to wards the lark... I do think I'll have to let this one go... texas is just too far for me to go. Least I didn't have much in it...lol<br /><br />
70_2.JPG
<br /><br /><br />Anyone know... since I have no clue about the ol' larks... Since there is electric starter... can these get a remote throttle/start control on them.. or does it just depend on the model?? Model #35525 any info?

Paul Moir

Admiral

You can get it set up for remotes, but depending on the model you may need a choke solenoid so you can make it's function remote. Steering setup is a little odd (compared to modern engines) but not that bad.<br />That's a '61 40hp Lark you've got there. Mechanical shift lower unit which is a plus (I don't think electric came out till '62). The Johnny you have pictured there is electric shift though (looks '64ish too). Fuel oil mix is 24:1 87 octane gas and TC-W3 outboard oil. Parts are easy to find and usually pretty darn cheap. Only a couple "special tools" are needed to do anything at all on that outboard. Great project engine, but I've got a biased opinion. :) <br /><br />"to wards the lark" LOL! :) <br /><br />EDIT: Looks like the Lark was already set up for use with remotes.