Choice of f.finders

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im am in the market for a new fishfinder. The one i currently have doesnt even mark fish anymore, after two years. You all know what the brand is, no need to be repetitive.<br /><br />I fish saltwater. 15-150 feet. I need something that is not going to miss marking fish and give me accurate representation of the bottom. So im looking for something with a high resolution. I narrowed my choices to 3 that are in my price range.<br /><br />-Garmin Blue 240<br />-Lowrance X88DF<br />-Furuno LS6100<br /><br />Do you have any pros and/or cons... about the above units? Thanks in advance

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: Choice of f.finders

I use the Garmin Blue and the Garmin GPS Map 162 in Salt. I love their products and have had good luck. They make good high quality products.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah currently i have a Garmin GPSmap 176c. It is killer.<br /><br />But I cant really decide on a fishfinder, all have dual freq 50/200 hz, and comparable features.<br /><br />The Garmin's resolution is 240x240. Its comes in second in cost at $350. I already own a garmin and love it.<br /><br />The Lowrance resolution is 320x320 and is the cheapest at $320.<br /><br />The Furuno has the best name in fishfinders and resolution is 240x320. But is more expensive at $400.<br /><br />Oh the decisions we must make. What a dilemma

Ralph 123

Captain

For the $30 I'd stick with Garmin. The interface and brackets are even the same and you know the quality. just my 2 cents<br /><br />I love my 162 but sometime I wish I spent a little more and bought the color version like you have. They are just so nice!

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone know about the Furuno?

Ralph 123

Captain

I've seen older model Furuno's used on commercial party fishing boats running out of Plymouth.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

TopNotch... I Played with all of them at the store lately, even the Lowrance LCX 104C (big $$$$.$$)...<br /><br />I looked at the Furuno 6100 the other day and have made up my mind that it's the one for me... Probably pick it up sometime this week along with the Furuno GP32 gps (I gave up on a finding a chartplotter, too confusing :( )...<br /><br /> The only thing I can't decide on is transom mount or thru hull transducer... I know thru hull is best, but I just don't feel like cutting another hole in the bottom of my boat..<br /><br />To me, Garmin has a poor feel to it... I dunno how to explain... I know many people swear by Garmin, it's just not for me...<br /><br />The Lowrance X88 is'nt very powerful and if I did go with Lowrance I'd go with the X98DF because it's more powerful (Advertized as 500 watts RMS)..<br /><br />Good luck in finding the right one for ya... I know it ain't easy... ;)

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pretty sure you can get an accessory to make your new Furuno 6100 a Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter. Just need the GPS antenna. Check it out. <br /><br />Thanks for the advice all. Ive almost made up my mind on the Furuno 6100.<br /><br />Although, Im not sure though about spending more money on the boat. The Air Force is calling my name.

Ralph 123

Captain

Hey Top, If you get called up I'd be happy to look after that great boat of yours :D

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We shall see. I dont think I could find it in my heart to sell it, cause noone would take care of it like I do...<br /><br />But hey if I keep it in the parents backyard wrapped up, it will be there when i get back. Furuno 6100!