Choice of 2 water pump kits?

arnieb

Seaman Apprentice
Hello group,

I'm going to change my first water pump in my 1988 135hp Mariner. There are 2 kits I'm looking at and I'm not sure what kit to get. The full kit comes with a new impeller, impeller plate, impeller housing and base, water tube guide, grommet, and all the gaskets and rings. The other kit has all the same parts except less the impeller housing BASE. The price difference is $18. I have not had the bottom end off yet as its still -40 here. I want to have the kit just in case the weather turns nice, lets say the freezing point ;-[
I'm just not sure how often the other parts in these kits are needed. Any help would be great before ordering the kit needed.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Choice of 2 water pump kits?

Only way to tell if you need the housing is to take it apart if it is scored or grooved then replace it if not use it over.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Choice of 2 water pump kits?

Regardless of any damage caused by picked up articles, age will score the base. Beins your's is an '88 I'd go the extra bucks and get the full kit. Then you can do the installation all at one time and be done with it.

Course you may not know when it was last changed. If it was a couple of years ago and you haven't used the engine much, you may be wasting your money.

Mark