chirping control box

fishook54

Cadet
why does chirping noise come from control box when i release key switch,is this telling me something?Ijust want motor to turn over with keyswitch,canit be one of the other electrical components in control box thats bad and disabling my new key switch?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: chirping control box

fishhook....are you saying that you put a new keyswitch in the control box and now the engine won't start and you get the chirp when you release the switch from "START"? What engine do you have and year? Is this an OEM keyswitch?

fishook54

Cadet

1978 johnson 55hp-original key switch chirped also ,but would turn motor sometimes after holding key in start position for a good while.replacment switch is same part.I know starter and solinoid work cause i jumped solinoid with ajumper wire.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Is the chirping noise a buzz or a beep? Have you checked all connections as being clean and tight? Grounds all clean? When you jumped the solenoid....did you jump the large posts or jump 12V's to the small post? Sorry for all the questions...just want to be sure of all the facts.

fishook54

Cadet

the noise sounds like a bird chirp,so i guess its closer to a beep ,.I jumped from small post to large on solinoid .I have basic outboard knowledge ,however my weekness is electrics ,i understand that you have to ask many questions and i really appreciate any advice given .ps im slow responding cause i type with one finger.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Could be that the warning horn is going south. We need to establish if it works at all. This can be done by grounding the lead to the head temp sensor with the key just to on....engine not running. Look on the head for a lead coming out and it should be covered with a rubber boot. Pull the boot back to expose the knife connector. With the key to "ON", ground the knife connector to a clean engine ground. The over heat alarm should sound in a steady tone. If not, check the harness and leads to the horn. It would most likely be the horn is bad. Also it would be nice to know if it's a tone or buzzer.<br /><br />If the starter is still not turning when going to start, again check the connections and grounds for clean and tight.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

First thing that came to my mind is the "self test" deal that they do. Mine chirps every time I turn the key and I was told its a self test. No?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

When you first go to "ON", there should be a short self test tone or beep. After that there should be no sound execpt to indicate trouble.<br /><br />EDIT: I should also mention that this is with the newer horn modules. The original buzzers did not sound when the key was turned on.

fishook54

Cadet

okay i made some progress,after a hundred tries holding key in start position it finally broke loose and turned over, it even started a few times, ran for 10 or 15 seconds then quit.i noticed fuel coming out top carb.oh yes i think the chirp is the self test,its mounted right next to key switch.

fishook54

Cadet

obj,<br />i did the head temp sensor test,horn works fine same horn makes the chirp when key switch is turned on.i know the motor is a1978 but the control box may be later year since it has a horn

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Some of the older boxes look like the newer boxes but contain the old buzzer type alarm horn.<br /><br />If you got fuel spilling out of the carb throat, you might want to consider an over haul for the carbs.....I would highly recommend this.