Chinewalker-amsoil

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Scott<br /><br />Do you still use Amsoil in your 70's era mercs?<br /><br />I have a 73 200 (20hp) and respect your opinion after seeing that wall of yours.

NathanY

Commander
Re: Chinewalker-amsoil

I have read many of your posts, and Im just curious, but why are you so hell-bent on Amsoil? Did you buy a big load of it or something? I have to admit, I have never heard of it until you started talking about it.<br /><br />Again, I was just curious.

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice

Nate:<br />The folks that I know who have used it are Johnnyrude owners who already run at 100 to 1 which is the mix that Amsoil recommends. These guys like the stuff.<br /><br />Chinewalker runs Mercs of the same general year that mine is.<br /><br />I didn't buy a barrel of it yet but I might :) <br /><br />This product is made in Wisconsin so I don't mind spending a few coins to keep our industry diverse and my taxes lower.<br /><br />Maybe I am just asking permission to experiment.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Riley...I'd be real cautious of a blend oil that recommends a 100:1 mix in an engine that specs call for a 50:1 mix especially in an older motor like yours. You may end up with a bunch of mirical oil and a blown head. I'd really research the stuff and maybe even contact the manufaturer for any guarantees, implied or not. Just be careful about using the stuff if you do.

Bellboy

Seaman Apprentice

At the risk of starting a flame war.....I don't much care for Amsoil or most any company which uses Multi Level Marketing as it puts the distribution plan before the product's quality.<br /><br />For an honestly good oil I highly recommend Redline.<br /><br /> http://www.redlineoil.com <br /><br />I'm not a dealer or seller of either, but a very satisfied user of the latter. Have read quite a bit of industry reports on the two flavors, and the Redline overall is superior as well as sometimes cheaper (don't ever let that alone to be the determining factor).<br /><br />As for 4 stroke engines, never ever use a motor oil flush (especially Am-Soil's) as they strip out the seals and eliminate the film strength of the remaining oil leaving you with no lubricant between the friction surfaces.<br /><br />I'd rather have a gunked up engine than one with gouged bearings and cylinder walls. Better to use some ATF (automagic trans fluid) added to the oil. Much easier on everything and actually increases the seals ability to do their job.<br /><br />For those who are now aghast at me for suggesting such an attrocity, let it be known that ATF is basically 10W oil with tons of detergant additives along with some juice to make the seals swell (and of course anti-corrosion, non-foaming agents and friction modifiers).<br />-ANT

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice

Outboard Jim:<br /><br />I felt the same way so mixed 50:1 to be on the safe side.<br /><br />Ant: I never did get down with Amway either or those diet supplements people. I know what you mean.