Chili Recipes

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi everyone,<br /><br />My cousin is having a "Chili Cook-off" in a couple of weeks. I was going to make up a batch of the same old chili I've been making for years, but got to thinking that I should try something new.<br /><br />Just for fun, how about posting your favorite recipe here.<br /><br />This is what I use without the green peppers, celery, and bay leaves. I add dark red kidney beans and use a whole beer. Also, I like my chili a lot hotter than most people do, so I add either Tobasco or Daves Insanity Sauce to my bowl, but leave it out of the pot so other people will eat it too. :) <br /><br />3 medium onions<br />2 medium green peppers<br />2 large stalks celery<br />2 cloves garlic<br />1 small Jalapeno pepper, fresh, seeded & diced<br />8 lb lean chuck, coarsely ground<br />7 oz diced green chiles<br />28 oz stewed tomatoes<br />15 oz tomato sauce<br />6 oz tomato paste<br />6 oz chili powder<br />2 T cumin<br />Tabasco sauce to taste<br />12 oz beer, divided into two portions<br />12 oz mineral water<br />3 bay leaves<br />garlic, salt and pepper to taste<br /><br />Dice and saute the first five ingredients. Add the meat and brown<br />it.<br /><br />Add the remaining ingredients, including half the beer (Annie sez to<br />drink the remainder!). Add water just to cover the top of the<br />mixture.<br /><br />Cook about 3 hours on low heat, stirring often.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Chili Recipes

I do it Texas style without the beans. I don't have an exact recipe, I just do it by taste. Dried out peppers simmered in there, chopped up steak, chili powder, a bit of garlic, tomato sauce, pasta, etc. The people I know don't really like the pulp or plump veggies and stuff in there, just the sauce and lots of meat.<br /><br />Those dry cayennes will really spice it up.

ndemge

Commander

jsfinn..... how much Dave's do you add to one bowl of chili? I hope not more than a drop!<br /><br />..I had a bad expereince with Dave's when I was 15..<br /><br />My brother was excevating for a bridge he was putting into his property, friend of his stopped by with some Deer Sausage,... and an unmarked bottle of hot sauce. My brotherr, who can handle much hotter than I, takes a piece with a drop of Dave's on it. Eats it, and likes the taste. Ask him if it was hot.. Nope, taste good. So I procede to Load up almost a teaspoon onto my piece. Right as I eat it, my brother starts gasping and and cussing out the "friend".... Dave takes a minute to kick in,... about 10 seconds later MY mouthfull kicked in.<br /><br />Long story short, A gallon of milk, a bottle on liquid benedryl later, I could finally breath again. Almost went to the hospital because I couldn't breath as the throat swelled.<br /><br />Sorry to Hijack.....

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ndemge, Dave's is kind of new for me but I like it. My Fiancee made some corn chowder last week and I meant to add a couple of drops but ended up with about a teaspoon. I thought "Eh, what the heck..I'll be ok". It was HOT. I had trouble seeing becasuse it was so hot...I got to the bottom of my bowl and I haven't touched it since then. I'm about ready to get back on the horse though..just with a little less Dave's.

SoulWinner

Commander

I used to add about a tbl spn of Dave's to a bowl of chili, but I then found an old man here who made his own pepper sauce from his garden Tabasco peppers. The flavor is absolutely marvelous, and the heat is higher than habanero peppers. That was the day I learned that flavor is more important than heat (Dave's is not made from peppers, but with capsicum extract, therefore it is super hot but tastes like some kind of chemical, not good at all!) and now the only hot sauce I eat is what I make from Tabasco peppers grown from seed of the plants the ole man has cultivated for thirty years. I grow only Tabasco, and keep my plants away from other peppers or gardens, and they have a flavor/heat that is so satisfying, that I now supply scores of people with hot sauce.<br /><br />By the way, looking at the ingredient list for the chili, I see a couple of ingredient exceptions that I think are responsible for my chili being a multiple cook-off winner. e-mail me and I'll tell you what I use!

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Beans? In Chili? I don't understand what you are trying to say....<br /><br />I, like Coach, don't have a recipe. I just throw stuff in there until it smells good and tastes good. But never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never add beans. That is almost a cardinal sin here in Texas.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok ok...I just throw stuff in most of the time too, but you have to start somewhere! Besides, how would it look if I asked people to post how they make chili and I don't share what I do? :D <br /><br />And, you Texas guys got a lot of things right, but beans belong in chili.

oddjob

Commander

Sorry, but we(me) aint in Texas. The beans go in! :) <br /><br />why, beans with no chili is like cranberry without turkey.