CHICAGO RIVER

IL GLASTRON

Cadet
Is there anywhere I can actually LAUNCH my boat into the Chicago River? Tried a few places in Wilmette, but none put you on the actual river, only lake MI. <br /><br />Is the only way onto the river via the city and Lake MI??

IL GLASTRON

Cadet
Re: CHICAGO RIVER

Thanks! I actully found that first one just after I posted this. Thing is, I'd like to stay off Lake MI all together if I could, I only have a 17' boat and feel I am too small to be out there. I was this weekend and im sure thats considered a calm day, but the way home still beat us up pretty good! (we launched in Winnetca)<br /> I also found this, I will have to look into this one...<br /><br />"FY 2003 BOAT ACCESS AREA DEVELOPMENT GRANTS<br />City of Chicago (Cook County), $200,000 to develop a new two-lane boat ramp, a courtesy dock, a parking area and landscaping including prairie plants. This boat access facility, located at 3200 South Western Avenue, will be the first and only public motorized boat launch on the Chicago River within the city limits of Chicago. The overall cost of the project is estimated to be $703,500. (Local contact: Kathleen ****hut, 312/744-1074)"<br /><br />Thanks for the links!! :)

IL GLASTRON

Cadet

ha ha, it actually stard out her LASTNAME b/c it was a bad word.. (nick name for richard)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I would love to boat the Chicago River, bit I too would be leary about putting my toon in Lake Michigan.....Sounds like that ramp should be open by now...<br /><br /><br />To reach the Chicago River from Burnham Harbor, you head two miles north along the coast of Lake Michigan, past Monroe Harbor, and enter the lock that separates the big lake from the river. The waters are semiprotected, but if the wind is coming from the north and/or east, it can be a rocky — if short — voyage.

IL GLASTRON

Cadet

Well, i will try that launch and see if its open. Chicago river was a blast when we did it on Sunday, just didnt care for the 45 min ride back north where we launched on lake MI. <br /><br />Where are you loacated? Maybe a I-boats gathering would be fun!! :)

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We love to run the 'loop'.<br />
chgo-loop.jpg
<br /><br />There's a ramp on the Cal Sag near Worth and another near Alsip. It's a considerable run from the ramp(s) downtown, but it's all very protected and except for the aroma in some areas, it's fun.<br /><br />Worth:<br />
worthramp.jpg
<br /><br />Alsip:<br />
alsipramp.jpg
<br /><br />The coordinates in the pics are very close.<br /><br />You can also splash in Burnham Harbor run the lock to get into the river. This ramp is the closest, but traffic/parking can be a challenge.<br /><br />Burnham:<br />
burnamramp.jpg
<br /><br />Navy Pier is a blast to explore, but there's really no place for a small boat to tie up.<br />
navypier.jpg
<br /><br />I love the area!

sox 1

Cadet

Well, i will try that launch and see if its open. Chicago river was a blast when we did it on Sunday, just didnt care for the 45 min ride back north where we launched on lake MI. <br /><br />Where are you loacated? Maybe a I-boats gathering would be fun!! :)

Went by the launch (western ave) a couple of weeks ago and they didnt have a dock at the ramp,there was a cpd stationed there, heard there was a lot of break ins
to the vehicles parked there. You can go to the summit launch which isnt too far from downtown.