Chevy towing hurricane

wvstriper

Seaman Apprentice
I am going to be towing a 22' Hurricane from FL to WV. As best as I can gather the boat+trailer weight should be around 3500lbs. I just found out the dual axel trailer has no brakes. I will be using a 04 chevy silverado w/ v8 as the tow vehicle. Will this be safe, or should I get brakes on the trailer first? :confused: Thanks in advance.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Chevy towing hurricane

Short answer - NO<br />Long answer - Hell no<br /><br />Do a search of the threads on this forum and you will find a lot of comments on this. The most recent is the thread called "warped rotors" ( http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=002056 )<br /><br />Not just a bad idea but illegal. Try this site for details on the law http://www.roadmasterinc.com/laws.htm . You would be breaking the law in almost every state.<br /><br />Remember, the laws are for the minimums. You will be hitting some real hills in WV and trailer brakes are a must there.<br /><br />Also, I think you are way off on the estimate of weight. The trailer is probably close to 1000# by itself. I would think you are closer to 4500# to 5000# total weight. <br /><br />Big warning - do not go by weights someone quotes from the manufacturer. They are for dry weights as the boat came out of the factory. Add anchor, fuel, accessories, etc. and it goes up. Now add water that always seems to seep into the floatation compartments and you are way off. You need to have it weighted before you do any long distance driving.<br /><br />Now consider the vehicle. Try going to http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/04towingguide.pdf for the towing capacity for your vehicle. It seems like your vehicle is rated for the load, but you need to be much more specific: what model, 4wd/2wd, size engine, differential ratio, etc. The web site lists it all.<br /><br />Before you tow check the condition of the spare, jack, lug wrench, and some wood in case you have to park on the shoulder over a soft spot. The warped rotors thread also covers this.<br /><br />I see you are new. This is a good site with lots of people who give good advice. Take a moment to search the postings for key words like weight and brakes and you will find a lot of good information.<br /><br />Welcome and good luck

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Jack is right, no only dangerous it is illegal to tow without trailer brakes. I would get some brakes installed and have the bearings and tires checked before a trip that long. <br /><br />I think the boat & trailer combo is heavier than you think too. I would guess 4500#.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you are new to boating, this boat, and towing I would also check the tires. Sometimes people replace the trailer tires with automobile tires.<br /><br />Bad idea. Trailer tires have a model that starts wtih an ST. They are rated for the heavy loads and to handle well with the trailer.<br /><br />Automobile tires typically cannot handle the heavy load.

TilliamWe

Banned

WV, I will agree, no you should not tow that combination without trailer brakes!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

trailer brakes, back when i was foolish, i got pushed thru many a traffic light buy a ranger bass boat. towing vehicle 3/4 ton ford P/U. then i got smart and when a light turn yellow i just stomped the gas. i've learned better in my old age.

wvstriper

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the info. I am getting quotes back today for the brake installation. One other question. Do you normally brake one or both axles. Seems like you can't go wrong with both!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by wvstriper:<br /> <br />Thanks for all the info. I am getting quotes back today for the brake installation. One other question. Do you normally brake one or both axles." Seems like you can't go wrong with both!"
Ill agree with that statement.....