Chevy Tahoe Tow Vehicle

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice
Great forum. I have spent 3 hours on here since I found this site!<br /><br />I purchaed a 1989 Sea Ray 220OV with a 350 Merc. The specs say the boat weighs 3500#'s. My trailer is a tandem axel w/ surge brakes, but aren't sure if the brakes work or not. I am looking for a tow vehicle and was wondering if any of you use a Tahoe with the 5.3 litre engine to pull compparable boats. The Honda I don't think will cut it! ;) Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

D

DJ

Re: Chevy Tahoe Tow Vehicle

Hammerhead,<br /><br />I think your actual towed weight will be considerably more than you may be thinking.<br /><br />If the boat weighs 3500#, that's a "dry" weight.<br /><br />The trailer probably weighs at least 1000#.<br /><br />You would not believe how much boating "gear" weighs. You know, all the stuff, stowed here and there. :eek: <br /><br />Make sure the brakes ARE working.<br /><br />A rule of thumb is to choose a vehicle that will be at only 85% of towing capacity of your actual towed weight.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A Tahoe should handle the rig if it is properly equiped with the factory towing package, not just a hitch and wiring harness.<br /><br />Towing package may consist of different transmission, tranny cooler, overdrive override switch, different springs or shocks, depending on the vehicle model. Best bet is to check at dealer to see what packages were available on the Tahoe, then see if your vehicle has the package installed.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hammerhead<br />A Tahoe would be a great choice. Out here to get one without the factory tow package you would have to special order it as everone I have seen the dealers has the tow package. You could go to Chev's web site to be sure but the two wheel drive is rated for over 6700 and the 4 wheel drive over 7400. The 5.3 Vortec is as good as they get.<br />5.3 L ENGINE<br />2WD AXEL 3.42 6700 LB<br />2WD AXEL 3.73 7700 LB<br />4WD AXEL 3.73 7400 LB<br />4WD AXEL 4.10 8100 LB<br /> http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe/index.html

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hammer-<br />I've got a 2002 tahoe Z71 (3.73 rearend). It would pull that searay of yours with NO difficulty. That 5300 motor and towing package with locking differential and 4x4 would be overkill if anything. As above, its rated to pull a trailer with 7400 lbs counting only driver in car so a little less if car is full of passengers but still plenty of capacity. I must say that a 2wd with trailer package would be more than sufficient and would cost less $$$. Good luck. I love my tahoe (when my wife lets me drive it! :( )

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. Sounds to me that the Tahoe would be a great choice, given the specs that were provided. I am considering a 4x2 rather than the 4x4 as the cost is lower, and I hear insurance is cheaper as there is less damage if you are in an accident. My only consern with a 4x2 is what happens if you get on a slippery, wet ramp? I guess you then have somebody with a 4x4 at the ramp pull you out :D ! <br /><br />Thanks again for the advice!

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you got the rear locking differential with your trailer package then you would have "true" 2 wheel drive (both rear wheels with power). The weight of the tahoe itself and true positraction will give you plenty of grip. I have pulled a 1976 24'searay cuddy with standard full size chevy truck with slip pos and still had no real problems even though back end over the wheels was awful light. You can also adjust setup to add weight to tongue (within limits) to help load rear tires. That can imporve traction on wet ramps as well. But I would really not worry about it... Good luck

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hammerhead<br />Your would be fine out on the road with any Tahoe, but to pull a heavy boat out at least get the locking rear end. Out here I would not consider anything but the 4x4. I like to hunt and snow ski so worth it just to get out of putting on chains every weekend. Also when you back down that Salt Water ramp covered with MOSS and seaweed it worth every penny. Same thing for the ramp that has mud or sand washed up on it. Resale Value also better but gets about 1 fewer miles per gall of gas.

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah! I don't think the wife would buy off on that. I was lucky to get the boat, let alone a diesel truck!! I'm sure it would do the trick though. :)

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hammerhead:<br />If you are still interested. I pull a 220 Chaparral that weights in at 3,750lbs. (boat dry) trailer is aluminum 1,000lbs. Gas and gear add another 500 - 600 lbs. If your trailer is galvanized or painted you need to add another couple hundred pounds. I pull with a Suburban with 5.3liter. It is a great tow, however, I have been on 2 ramps that I needed the 4X4 because they were steep and slippery. I have a locking rear differential and it didn't help. If I had a two whell drive I would carry sand to put under the wheels for traction or maybe increase tounge weight. I can only add about 100 pounds of tounge weight on my rig before going over recommendation. Good Luck.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Hammerhead -I too have had to use 4 wheel drive on a slimey ramp to pull a much lighter boat out than what you will be pulling. Dont overlook the full size dodge 2500 4+4 quad cab pickups. I got mine new in 2002 for what I would have paid for a used Tahoe. And it will pull a ship if it had to.I really like mine :D

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

I think that I am leaning toward the 4x4 tahoe. I still haven't purchased yet as I am hoping the used prices on Tahoes will come down slightly in the spring when I will actually need it! I am no hurray to buy right now as it is 10 degrees here in Ohio. Wont be doing too much boating. Would be nice for the snow though!

binduni

Cadet

Hammerhead,<br /><br />I use a 1999 GMC Yukon (just a rebadged Tahoe) to pull my 2002 Rinker 212. Boat, fuel, trailer, and gear weigh in at about 5,000 lb. I bought the boat in Idaho, a seven hour drive from Portland, last summer. It was 104 degree from most of the drive, and of course I had the A/C on! The Yukno had no problems pulling the boat with my family thru the desert with the A/C on for seven hours. I was very impressed with the towing capablity, but am disappointed with the brakes - disk front, drum rear. Always feel spongy, and has had 2 brake jobs within its 40K miles.<br /><br />Of course, the other thing you have to learn is how to not think about the gas mileage - on that trip I averaged 8 MPG. At $2 per gallon, that's going to hurt this summer! :eek:

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

I finally bought my tow vehicle - 2001 GMC Yukon 4X4. I pulled my boat 4X's with it this spring and it pulled like a champ. 70+ MPH was no problem. Even without the brakes on the trailer, she did a fine job stopping. It has the 5.3 with the factory towing package. The tow/haul switch does a nice job with the tranny, allowing it to wind out a little more, delaying the shifts. The nice thing is that the truck is pre-wired for electric brakes. My surge do not work and I am thinking about removing the surge and installing electrics, any thoughts?<br /><br />Can't wait till I can hook back up to the Sea Ray!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hammerhead,<br /><br />I had a 1999 tahoe and towed a nearly identicle trailer set up as yours.<br /><br />You bought a great tow vehicle. You will enjoy it when towing and for daily use. Note of caution: Even though you were able to stop your trailer without brakes, get some asap. I once trailered a boat of 5800 lbs, as short distance in the rain. Came to a stop sign and I had zero control. The weight of the trailer combined with the limited traction provided by the wet road made stopping impossible. I went right through a red light with both my feet on the brake. No damage as it was a quiet morning in a small town but the lesson was learned.<br /><br />There are several threads in this area debating the virtues of electric, surge, and electric over hydraulic brake systems for trailers. Any system is better than none, I would hate to have you find out the hard way... :) <br /><br />Enjoy your cool new toys, oops equipment. ;)

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hammerhead, good choice on the tow vehicle! I have a 2001 Tahoe 4X4 which has given me no troubles (Knock on wood!) so far. It tows my '91 Sunbird Corsair 205 no problem (approx. 3000lbs). The tow/haul mode is an excellent feature on the truck, allowing extra torque in the first few gears. Good luck with the new truck! I'm sure you wont be dissapointed, as we love the room and handling of it.

PeteHarris

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2002 yukon xl 5.3 with 3.73s 4x2 and the trailer package. I've never had a problem on slick ramps, as the tongue weight on my boat is a little heavy. I moved my boat (chaparral 205 SL LTD), my family and pets, and a good collection of worldly possesions from mississippi to arizona and back in the middle of the summer with absolutely no problems. I topped out at over 12000 gross weight and still got 15-18 mph and could almost forget the boat was back there. The extra wheel base makes a world of difference ... I used to pull with an 87 K-5 Blazer, plenty of power but really really squirrelly.<br /><br />my 2 cents.