Chevy Colorado??

FLATHEAD

Captain
Thinking of buying one of these trucks. With gas prices going through the roof I see us paying 3 dollars or more per gallon buy the end of summer. Time to trade in the Dodge 2500, 11 miles to the gallon, 180 a month just to run it to work,, Its got to go. Any body own one of these colorados? Do they really get the advertised 18 MPG? I have read some revues that they seem cheaply built, read some that say it's a fine truck. <br /><br />I need a 4 wheel drive with decent gas mileage and can pull my little ole fishin boat around. Maybe a Toyota Tacoma?? Been the Dakota route before was not thrilled with the truck.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chevy Colorado??

I have an '04 Colorado with the 3.5L 5 cylinder motor. It's a Z71 but not the 4x4 version. It rides well, pulls my 18' bowrider with no problem and gets around 22 mph on the highway. Mine has the 3.42(I think that's the ratio) gear ratio so it's only turning 2000 rpm at 70 mph. Actually I wish it had the 3.79 (or whatever the next one up is) gear so it would have a little more pulling power. I don't really have any complaints about the truck except that the inside is more utilitarian than my old Dodge Dakota was....not as luxurious. But all in all I'd say that it's a pretty good vehicle but if it had a small block V-8 it would be a killer ride.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go to www.edmunds.com and compare the Tacoma to the Colorado. It looks like the Tacoma is the better choice. You can get a V6 with the Tacoma but not with the Colorado.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yeah Emunds is such a good site that it fails to list the proper engines available for the Colorado. Edmunds is plain old bias and not as informed as people believe.<br /><br />Go out do your own comparison - your money your decision.<br /><br />Bob

aspeck

Staff member

Don't own a Colorado myself, but I think they are a nice rig. Fuel economy should beat your old Dodge hands down. But then, you already know my preference for GM.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> <br /><br />Go out do your own comparison - your money your decision.<br /><br />Bob
-------------------------------------------------<br />Tough to come to a real conclusion on a certain vehicle with just a test ride or two. Nothing beats the opinion of someone who actually owns one, or has a friend that has one. <br /><br />Thanks for the replys,, keep em coming.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have seen them but know nothing of them.<br />I would watch for the major updates to the Dakota coming later this year.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> Yeah Emunds is such a good site that it fails to list the proper engines available for the Colorado. Edmunds is plain old bias and not as informed as people believe.<br /><br />Go out do your own comparison - your money your decision.<br /><br />Bob
Obviously you can't buy a vehicle based on information from just Edmunds. I have used Edmunds in the past for specification comparison and some input. I also test drive, use other consumer reports, "word of mouth" and forums to make my decision. Edmunds may be somewhat biased but the reviews I read on an SUV we recently purchased were pretty close to what I experienced test driving the vehicles.

tommays

Admiral

i got a 2003 Silverado 8 ft bed with a 4.3 it gets 18 mpg on local trips 14 miles or less and has no problem getting 21 on the highway<br /><br />i could have gotten the Colorado or the Silverado but it seamed silly to me to pay the same money for much less truck that did not even give much better fuel millage<br /><br />it was the same thing with the S-10 with a 4.3 the S-10 cost more than the full size work truck<br /> <br />tommays

one more cast

Captain

my silverado 4x4 SWB 4.3 5 speed gets 18-21 mpg also but lacks power when towing a boat. I do an awful lot of shifting. I like those Colorado's but the trade in value on my '02 is so low I plan on running it till the wheels fall off.

1stoutboard

Seaman Apprentice

I just purchased the 2005 Tundra. 4.7L V8. I am getting 16 to 17 mpg city. Compare it to Tommays Silverado that has the 4.3L V6 and gets 18mpg.I never owned a Silverado. I am just giving more facts so you can compare.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4X4 with a 4-cylinder and 5 speed transmission. The truck drives nicely, but you have to shift a bit to keep it moving. I don't mind that. I routinely get 21 or 22 mpg in mixed driving.<br /><br />I purchased the truck in April and have been generally pleased with the way it drives.<br /><br />The downside:<br /><br />Wipers quit working the night I drove it off the lot.<br /><br />Ignition switch would not turn often.<br /><br />Check engine light came on and the computer had to be reprogrammed.<br /><br />The inside rear view mirror fell off when my boy was cleaning the dash, and the dealer won't honor that as a warranty item. $80, but not worth the aggravation of dealing with the cretin.<br /><br />The Toyota Tacoma V6 requires premium fuel, if you read the owners manuals. The salesman, of course will tell you differently. That's a major bummer.<br /><br />I like the rather spartan nature of the Colorado. It is the closest thing to the little import truck that is sold today. The Japanese have allowed theirs to grow to the point that they are a big as a 1971 F-100. Also, with the new pricing, that Toyota--outfitted like mine--will cost a cool 6,000 more than the Chevy. That's real dough.<br /><br />Would I buy another? Hard to say. I'm disappointed about the four trips to the dealer for stuff in 5,000 miles. ( The Mazda Miata I purchased for my wife last December has twice the mileage on it and has never had a problem.) My attitude tonight may be colored by the rearview mirror issue, because it wasn't severe abuse that caused the failure and other makes would have probably made that good under warranty.<br /><br />I'm hoping that the little stuff works itself out before the warranty expires, otherwise it will be an expensive vehicle to maintain. Here's hoping<br /><br />Good Luck<br /><br />Jinx

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

My '04 only has about 16,000 miles on it but I have had NO problems from it so far.......knock on wood.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 2004 silverado, 2wd, 5.3L, 3.55 axle, x-cab. I do all highway and I get consistent 20MPG with the cruise set at 80mph. <br /><br />I'll admit I have a reluctance to pressing the tall skinny pedal too far. I love to let the computer control the throttle. <br /><br />This past tank I tried setting the cruise at 65 instead of 80 to see what happens. I usually get 240-260 miles by the time I'm down to 1/2 tank. <br /><br />This tank, including 2 trips to lowes hauling wood for my new deck, I went to 290 miles at 1/2 tank so I'm guessing it'll be 21-22mpg and that's with the trips to the home center. <br /><br />All that mileage and it's sill a real full size truck that will tow 8,000.<br /><br />Just a thought.

aspeck

Staff member

Jinx, sorry to hear of your problems, but I must say, the rear view mirror thing does not sound like a GM thing, but a dealer thing. There is no way it should have cost $80 to put it back on, an no way it couldn't have been covered under warranty. In fact, when we were in bidniz, we did more rear view reattaches than you can shake a stick at - all makes, not just GM - and very seldom did we charge anything - if we did, it was a buck or 2.<br /><br />Unless the mirror was really broken - more than just coming off the windshield - there should have been no problem. If the mirror was broken, then that is a little different, but still hard to believe the dealer didn't cover it.

ZmOz

Captain

Those 5.3Ls are sure efficient engines. Doesn't make very much sense to me to buy a truck with half the engine for only a couple MPG. At $2.30/gallon the difference between 20mpg and 23mpg is only half a cent per mile. I think I'm going to put a 5.3 into my '79 3/4 ton chevy. :D

tommays

Admiral

the difference between my 1995 4.3 and the 2003 4.3 is amazing.<br /><br /> but i thing a lot of the difference is inprovements in the tranny the 2003 glides a LOT futher with you lift the gas<br /><br /><br />tommays

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have been really surprised by the power and economy that my new(ish) work truck has. It is a 98 Ford f150 4x4 longbed with the 4.2 V6 in it. The truck is rigged with a 100 gallon spray tank, the spray rig which consist of the heavy steel frame, electric hosereel with 300 feet of hose, the Honda 5.5 hp pump. Not to mention all the other gear, the topper to cover it all, and two ladders on top. The truck still gets high teens despite all the weight in the back, and goes as fast as I want it to. I had never thought a V6 in a fullsize was anything to consider until this. Makes me look at my gas suckin' personal rig (95 F150 4x4 w/5.8 liter) differently.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ive got a 2004 Colorado Crew Cab with the 3.5L.<br /><br />Best MPG was 23 on the highway at 75-80 mph. I get in the mid teens in city driving.<br /><br />I dont like full size trucks, so that why I bought the Colorado.<br /><br />Only a few minor problems so far.<br /><br />Check out www.coloradofans.com<br /><br />Ken

Sublime

Cadet

Flathead:<br />I've been a Ford guy all my life until my last new rig. A 4x4 Ford was running 25k+ and all had silly running boards or steps on them that I would wind up ripping off in the woods. I baught an 03 Tacoma late in the season so they were willing to let it go for 17k to make room for the 04s. This is a 4x4, 2.7 ltr 4 cyl, 5 speed extended cab. I tow my 16 footer with it with no problems. This truck goes in the woods like a quad too. I do beat the snot out of it!<br /><br />I have nothing bad to say about this truck.