Chesapeake boating

jzlizz

Recruit
Not sure where to post this. I'm trying to get some info on boating on the Chesapeake, in general. This being a large body of water, does it compare to the Great Lakes as far as wave and wind action? Is the extreme north end similar to the central area and southern end? We have a 23' Maxum with a cuddy and want to do some week-long excursions. Currently living in northern PA and our boat is up for the winter, but normally spend weekends on Cayuga Lake from end of May to end of September. Is the boating season a little longer down there? Sorry to sound so stupid, but we're fairly new to boating and I figured this might be the best way to get some useful info! Thanks to all who reply.

Emtypckts

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Chesapeake boating

Hey "Lizz" I boat on the Cheasapeake all summer well actually mostly fish on it LOL but it is a great bay and lots of differant areas and yes it is a large body of water but at most points except at the mouth you can always see land and if your ambisious enough you can run up the potomac to DC for dinner and such (not sure of the marinas in DC) then move on up to the Bay Bridge and Sandy Point, there are several light houses also I think you will have a blast good luck and let us know how the excursion turns out<br /><br />PS and yes the waves can get high at times 4 to 5 feet but for the most part they are about 2 although I have had many days out there this summer where it was like glass Good Luck

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Chesapeake boating

Let's try Boating Activities and Destinations, Lizz