Chesapeake Bay - MD

gregtobin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm planning my first fishing trip into the Chesapeake. Can anyone give me advice on what is biting now (October) and the best way to catch them!

Thanks!
Greg
Frederick

gregtobin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Chesapeake Bay - MD

I haven't really decided the exact location. I don't want to get too far away from where I put in as I don't yet trust the reliability of my '74 1150 merc.
I went out from Deale in the spring in a charter boat and we fished from there up to the bay bridge. I guess this is the middle bay.
Since I've never done this before, I'm looking for a lot of advice to get started. I've got a 18 foot bowrider with no electronics (yet - but plan to buy an inexpensive fishfinder/depthfinder before going out on the bay). I've got some fishing poles and two eager teen sons.
I was thinking of going in at one of the public launches - maybe Ft. Armistead or Sandy Point - but would like your suggestions.
I've heard mixed reports on stripers biting in the fall. Are there some good on-line sites that give fishing updates and include what kind of bait is best? Do the artificial worms really work? Trolling speed? How heavy should the line be? What months are not worth going out (too cold for the amount of fish)?

We might also try our luck at crabbing.
Thanks
Greg

xtraham

Lieutenant
Re: Chesapeake Bay - MD

if you are fishing that far north I would fish around the bridge, bottom fish, you can cast for blue fish with cut bait, for rock use peeler's or soft crab ( if you can find them ) blood worms rarely does squid or chicken breast work like some folks say. if you plan on trolling for rock you really need to know the area ( bottom ) bucktails with a rubber worm will work when trolling but you have to troll slow less than 2 knots and takes heavy poles and a lot of weight it,s not fun, If you decide to head further south ie: Crisfield/Pocomoke sound let me know I wil tell you where to catch trout black, bass, porgy,s toaug ect. hope it's not this weekend or your plans are shot...