Cheerios quiz.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How many out there remember what this cereal was named back in the 40s, before it became Cheerios?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cheerios quiz.

Geez JB....I weren't borned till 47....didn't start munchin' cereal till....don't remember.<br /><br />I didn't even know it was ever called somethin' else. Now my curiosity is up.

ob

Admiral

I ain't that old either but I think they were called Cheerioats.We always ate Kix when I was a youngun.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I confess, I did a search on Cheerios and came up blank. Well, not entirely. Here's a recipe for fried cheerios:<br /><br />Fried Cheerios <br /><br />But in my defense, I wasn't born until 1953, so I have absolutely no idea...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Well being from the sticks and having to eat what we could when growing up, the Cheerios was a run off of, like OB said, Cheerioats.<br />I have eaten both, although I don't remember the Cheerioats that well.<br /><br />Anyone want to know why they quit making Cheerioats?<br /><br />Because another maker of oatmeal did not like the name Cheerioats.<br /><br />That was ok.<br />General Mills just removed the oats part and returned with Cheerios as we know them today.

ob

Admiral

Purely a guess on my part.Well maybe not completely as the reason I chose that name is because to this day that's what my mom always called them.We used to laugh about it when my brother and I were kids.I guess the last laugh is on me.

brother chris

Commander

Mini 0's??????<br />Mmmmm....fried cheerios.<br />Wait, I remember what WE called them. "Crap", cause there was no sugar on them.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Now that's interesting Jim. Thanks for sharing. :)

JB

OB guessed right and SBN remembered right.<br /><br />I used to pester Mom to get CheeriOats because I liked them, and Kellogs Pep because two boxtops and a dime would get you a kit to build a paper scale model of selected US, British, German and Japanese fighter planes.<br /><br />Trouble was that all of my siblings wanted Rice Krispies (Snap, Krackel and Pop).<br /><br />Still like 'em. :)

oddjob

Commander

Interesting, I like em ....without sugar. Now I eat generic brands to save some money.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

all I know is you can smell them cooking when you<br />leave buffalo small boat harbor in the a.m. :)

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's funny because I always called them Cherrioats, but never knew. My kids ate them constantly when they were little. I have fond memories of cherrios stuck to their little faces. Now they go for the suger, marshmallow & flourescent colored cereals. Too bad.

aspeck

Staff member

My wife is a Cheerio nut. She would eat them every day for breakfast and lunch if she could. I thought she would enjoy this thread - she did, but said, Doesn't JB have anything better to do? A little lonely maybe?<br /><br />Of course then she laughed and enjoyed the history of her favorite cereal. Also, thanks for the link Jim!<br /><br />As for me, I always questioned a cereal who's claim to fame was "the unsinkable taste of Cheerios." What is that? Cardboard?