checking tilt and trim??

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 76 135hp v4 evinrude that was given to me and im mounting it on an old boat i had in the back yard. i would like to know how to check the tilt and trim to see if it works. the wires are cut off about 6 inches from the hydrolic pump. tried to get help using the manual but there is no manual that tells you how to do things the redneck way (haha). it only tells you how to check and test when its hooked up correctly. can i just hook up a battery to it or do i have to get a relay for it??? thank you for your help. this forum is the best!!!!<br /><br /><br />dan

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: checking tilt and trim??

sounds like fun! I've never understood why some people's idea is to cut the harness off near the source. you can "redneck" it but you'll need some wire to do it, if all you want to do it verify it works. I'm about 99% sure it's just three wires coming from motor: black, blue, and green. black of course is ground, the blue and green operate up and down. I don't remember which is which though. make sure the pump is topped off with fluid first. you're gonna need a new harness for it, and mine's a 1977 V4 and it has a solenoid instead of relays

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thank you Mikey!! do you think i have to have the solenoid to check it to see if it goes up and down. if so after getting this (if i need it) how can i get it to go up or down? how would i hook it up to the battery if possible.

sweaver

Seaman Apprentice

Black is ground, Green(grass) = down, Blue(sky)=up. Black to negative post and depending if you want it to go up or down the other goes to positive.

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just bring the battry over to and touch the black to ground. And one of the others to positive. You can mark which is up and down.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok you guys. i tried to get the thing going by using your advice and i get nothing, nada, zero.<br /><br />what is my next step in getting this thing running.<br /><br />its kinda hard to lift this heavy thing without hurting my back. and would not be fun do have to do this on the boat ramp.