Checking oil level

huzer1

Recruit
I have what maybe a silly question. When checking the oil, should I bring the motor level or is it designed to read correctly when the boat itself is level?

I have a 2008 Tiger RZ2, 5.7 liter marine power that's sitting at a fairly decent angle in the boat. They claim 5.5 quarts in the manual but I show a bit overfull on the dipstick after putting in 4 quarts with a full oil filter.

alldodge

Staff member
Use the dipstick
Many motors do not have a dipstick tube which goes down far enough to get most the oil out. Would have to use smaller plastic tube down dipstick tube so it reaches further. Either that or use drain pan plug and remove it

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I measure when the motor is level. On my trailered boat, when the trailer is level, the engine is pretty close to level. I don't know how much differenence it actually makes, but car/truck engines are supposed to be check on level ground, so I figure a boat engine should also be level or close too it.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If your sure the oil quanity is 5.5 qts, the drain the engine completely and add the 5.5 qts and remark the dipstick. Unless your boat is new, one never nows what was changed by previous owners. Have had autos where people have changed dipsticks for whatever reason and they dont read correctly. When I buy a vehicle, I give it the first oil change and add the proper amount of oil and check the dipstick, if needed I make a correction on the dipstick.