checking oil in lower end

riptide116

Seaman
I have a 20 Hp merc LS,'84' tiller drive & I would like to check the oil lev in lower end,I have no manual for it at this time.<br />I keep it tuned up,new plugs,clean..ect..but I dont know sqat for 'proper' maintence,I dont want to unscrew something and its gonna cost me $$ to make it work again.<br />I would like to keep things oil'ed before it burns out or something.

kence

Cadet
Re: checking oil in lower end

If you have never checked the oil in the lower unit, I would suggest that you drain and refill with new oil. There should be a screw or plug near the bottom of the skeg and another just above the cavitation plate that might be marked vent or flush. Allow the motor to hang until all of the oil has drained and pay attention to whether it looks like oil or is creamy which would mean some water has intruded your gearcase. If the oil is fairly clean, just refill with a quality GL5 rated gear oil. I would also suggest that you replace the o-rings or gaskets under the screws. Make sure that you fill the gearcase from the bottom until it comes out the top hole then put the top screw in and then the bottom screw. They sell very inexpensive bottle pumps which makes this job very easy.