checking manifolds and risers

stingray240

Cadet
How can I check the manifolds and risers to see If they need to be replace without removing them from the block. Thanks for your help.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: checking manifolds and risers

About the same way as getting a colonoscopy without going to the doctor. I.E your not. Your gonna have to take them off and have them pressure checked...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Wait 'till they leak and replace them one season ago....

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you aren't getting water in the oil then they aren't leaking at the moment. Next item is how is the water flowing. When I first got my boat in 05 and it's an 02 Volvo 5.0 GL-SX drive, I could run at full throttle for good while and put my hands on the risers right after stopping. They would be quite warm but in no ways hot to the touch. Now 5 seasons and 320 hrs later, they are a lot warmer than they were and need some cool down time for me to comfortably touch them. They are coming of at the end of this season. So in summary, if you can't touch em, they're clogged even if your engine temp is fine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You don't want to wait until the engine stops to touch them. You want to test them while the engine is running.

TilliamWe

Banned

If you aren't getting water in the oil then they aren't leaking at the moment...

I almost totally 100% disagree with that statement.

When manifolds and risers go bad and begin to leak, the FIRST thing that happens is that cylinder(s) fill up with water after you turn the boat off.

NOT water in the oil.

nimrod69

Seaman

Pull the risers off (easy job) and look at the water passages on both the risers and manifolds. Also look to see if any water has gotten past the sealing joint from the water to exhaust. If so you will see rust/water stains in that cavity. If all looks good, put in new gaskets and keep on gettin' it.

Bondo

Staff member

When manifolds and risers go bad and begin to leak, the FIRST thing that happens is that cylinder(s) fill up with water after you turn the boat off.

NOT water in the oil.

Ayuh,... That'll depend on the condition of the Rings....
But,...
I Agree, Hydro-lock is more likely....
How can I check the manifolds and risers to see If they need to be replace without removing them from the block.

Like Nimrod says,... Pull the risers off the Manifolds...
Depending on what you see,...
Either clean 'em Up,+ regasket them,....
Or finish pulling the manifolds,+ Junk 'em...

stingray240

Cadet

How many seasons do think I can get out them running in saltwater. I flush it every time I take It out of the water.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Average life in salt water - 5 years.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

How many seasons do think I can get out them running in saltwater. I flush it every time I take It out of the water.

I have gone on the every 5 year replacement schedule. I did mine one year ago and wrote the date on the manifold.