checking for clogged passages??

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman
ok the starbord bank of cylnders is running hot took out thermos and they both open in warm water so those are good. next is the clogged passage idea. how do i check/fix that prob? will compressed air work?<br /><br />Steve

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: checking for clogged passages??

S.S a little more info from you may give us some ideas.Sounds like you have a V ? engine.Different years have different water flow patterns.<br /> Beyond that keep in mind that if water comes in,it has to go out.You seem to realize that,I think.<br /> On most OMC's the starboard head gets water last,so a poor pump or intake problem may cause that side to be hotter.<br />DHP

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

oh srry its a 115 sea horse 1978?? yeah its a V i just found out that the motor was used in salt 6 months agop and never flushed so i think thats the prob. treat me like im stupid cause im used to car motors not boats. so can someone give me something to try please anything. if its a pump how do u check for that???<br /><br />Steve

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Also, there are some rubber chingasos in the heads called water deflectors. These cause the water to flow in a proper direction to facilitate appropriate cooling. They get old a shrivel up.It's not necessary to pull the heads to replace 'em but ya do have to remove the head covers. If you don' know the last time they were replaced, ya might wanna take a look.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

ok i when i took off the thermos i also took off the hoses and i noticed the water smells like salt which might mean the hose water is not even getting to the head. for now i replaced the black hose with clear so i can see if its getting there or not. so ill let yall know. PLEASE KEEP THE IDEAS COMMING!!!<br /><br />Steve

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Running a motor once in salt water without flushing six months ago will not cause the problem. However if it has spent most of its life in salt water without flushing, it very well could be. Also if the deflectors have never been changed that could be it also.<br /><br />The way to check both is to pull the heads and look. Clean out the crud while you are at it and replace the deflectors (get from dealer & don't use "stock" hose) - - (pull & clean the head caps too). While the head is off pull the lower unit and backflush the motor with fresh water through the pickup tube that connects to the water pump. And while you have the lower unit off replace the water pump. Use new gaskets & sealer per your manual and you should be set to go.<br /><br />I did this to one of my 1987s last year and it was an easy job. I assume you have the shop manual.