Checking clutch dog in cobra ?

RonB1954

Cadet
Do I need to take the entire outdrive off to get to the clutch dog and gears in my cobra or is there another way to do this? I did a search but did not find my answer.<br />1987 2.3 w/ cobra<br />Ron

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Checking clutch dog in cobra ?

HI RON B you will need to take at least the lower drive unit off and you will need the right tools to change the gears and clutch dog

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

remove the whole drive because on a cobra you can't drop just the lower half.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

You will need to remove the entire drive because you will need to rotate the shift shaft when you separate the lower from the upper.Sorry , but this is the easiest drive to remove,so don't be afraid.

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I first ask why? Are the gears grinding, if so maybe you have stutter switch issues. On the mercruiser there is a pivot point that offsets<br />the friction from the lower cable and odds are high it is seized on the pivot. <br />Just a thought<br />Chalie

RonB1954

Cadet

The reason why is this.... when getting under power in forward the trans jumps like it pops out of gear for a second then continues on just fine untill next time I stop. <br />RonB

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

when a gear/clutch has jumped ,even once,it will always jump and continue to get worse.replace them now .it will be cheaper in the long run.you will probably want to replace the shift cable from the engine to the drive also.

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a buddy that this happenned to. He told me the engne was missing. When I went down to the boat to see what he was talking about it sounded like the whole engine was going to be ripped off it's mounts. Well to make a long story short he hammered gear sets untill he split the <br />lower unit case wide open. To this day I don't know what he was thinking! Even in a car when things go bam you pull over and take a peak see. <br />I agree with John do it now before the repair bill becomes VERY HIGH. Have you considered a<br />lower unit exchange? I have never been inside<br />the bottom end of a mercruiser but be careful of gear pattern / shims. you will want these gears running in same place as before.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The shift cable from engine to outdrive should be red, if it has a black cable, needs updated shift cable. There is a web site about shifting problems and jumping out of gear, someone may post the address. Jumping out of gear may be caused by incorrect cable, cable adjustment, incorrect gear set( should have changed under warranty), worn clutch dog/farward gear, shifter shaft and belcrank.