Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
This is on our local Craigslist.1959 model and still runs.:eek:
"http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/549922527.html"

surfboardjpg1.jpg

surfboardjpg2.jpg

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Check this out,gas powered surf board.

Be he!! if the throttle stuck. :)

MikDee

Banned

Way Cool!, but a bit overpriced for a 1959 model, I wonder how much HP it had, or has now, and how much you need to get on a decent plane?

Reminds me of a true story, somwhere in the mid-80's I was working construction, putting fire sprinkler lines in a high rise office building just off the east river, downtown New York (The Continental Insurance center). I'm up on about the 15th floor, and look out the window, an there's this guy riding one of these up, & down the east river! :eek: I grabbed my cousin who was working with me at the time, as a witness, also to make sure I wasn't cracking up? we both stood there in disbelief, but totally amazed. You might say it was an unforgetable experience.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Be cool to have, but I wonder if you would have to have hull registration numbers on it? I think it would be considered a motorized water craft. Thats probably why they haven't gone over to well. They would be like those small scooters. They are motorized, but can't be licensed. Of course there is always the logic that it is legal until you get caught. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have seen a few of them... they pop up at estate auctions here in "varied" condition.

D

DJ

It would be fun to mess with but not for $1,500.00 clams.:eek:

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

There are newer models, too. Including one that's in a production run now in Australia.

I don't think it's the same thing as surfing though... I mean, part of the challenge of surfing is trying to control an unpowered board. I mean, if you can power it and steer it, then it's just another pwc, you know?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Imagine the looks you would get going across the lake on that thing!:eek:

Looks like maybe a 2 to 4 hp engine.
I would buy it if it was a couple hundred bucks just to play with it.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I hope its not prop driven .... imagine the number of chopped up legs and feet that must have happened on wipeouts!

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Lets see, fire extinguisher, anchor, PFD, hailing device, flair gun, bailing device, paddle, registration, first aid kit, etc., etc..