check my math

mattttt25

Commander
ok, so i wasted a few minutes today day dreaming about winning the $92M mega millions jackpot tonight. assuming i'm the only winner, i know i get roughly $36.8M for the lump sum payout. i guessed on taxes and figured i'd have $23M clean, give or take.<br /><br />if i safely, but smartly invested $20M of it....let's assume i earn 5% yearly. that nets me $1M, right? pay taxes on that and i still can live off $600K or so a year?<br /><br />just figure i need to be ready. ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: check my math

I'll check your math for a percentage of the winnings. :D :D <br /><br />Ken

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That was a waste of time. I have the winning ticket! :D

spratt

Lieutenant

I happen to be a world class Financial Advisor, specializing in Lottery Winning investments...Matt, let me know what you want to invest in and then you can provide me the 20Mil check, then check back in abotu 20 years to see how the investments have done...we, I mean you could possioble live on more if you choose to take back a part of your investment earnings annually or monthly... :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Mega-Millions calculations simplified...<br /><br />Money in your wallet subtract $1 equals what you have after purchasing another losing ticket.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I was with ya right up until the part where you said "i still can live off $600K or so a year?"<br /><br />matttt, that's only $50,000 per month. Theoretically I guess it's possible to make it on that, but you're going to need a tight budget.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a ticket this morning, and did the same calculations.<br /><br />With $23M net, I can quit work, buy that Lake House I have been dreaming about, along with a new bass boat, and a few other things I have my eye on.<br /><br />I figure after all that, I'll still have enough to let my wife cut back and just work Part Time.<br /><br /> :D :D :D

KaGee

Admiral

Matt... didn't you read the "Money Won't Change Me" thread before Christmas??

mattttt25

Commander

i'll tell you what, i really think i could handle it. i've spent way too much time thinking about what i would do if i hit it big (good hobby). i would still work, because at 29, i'd go nuts if i didn't. as for initial purchases, i'd buy a modest waterfront home and new boat. sell my home and boat. that's it. i would give my immediate family some money. i would also give my high school and college decent donations (who got me here). the rest would go to a large investment company that specializes in large accounts. set it all up to live off the interest (see math above). with the $600k a year, i could still spend it like toilet paper.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

There are large brokerage houses who require minimum accounts of $10 million and regularly return 18% or more - with half at 18% and and half earning a safe 5%, you could easily clear $1.4 million a year after taxes. Spend a little less, and it just keeps getting bigger!

D

DJ

There are large brokerage houses who require minimum accounts of $10 million and regularly return 18% or more - with half at 18% and and half earning a safe 5%, you could easily clear $1.4 million a year after taxes. Spend a little less, and it just keeps getting bigger!<br />
You cannot change the facts of life. The more you are willing to risk, the greater the payout.<br /><br />That's why the rich get richer, at an exponential rate.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lets face it, if you bought a ticket in the first place, obviously you are bad at math...<br /><br />:)

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, that's true but it sure is nice to think about the possibilities, aint it?

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

With a gross income in excess of a million dollars annually, it would be well worth it to secure the services of a tax firm, and you won't pay anywhere near 40%.<br /><br />Not only that, but I believe the payout is 20 years? $92 million over 20 years comes out to $4.6 million per year. At your estimated 40% tax, this comes to $2.67 million after taxes. In your first scenario, you still have $20 million after 20 years, because you just live on the intrest. By putting away $1 million from your annual payout of 2.67 (after taxes), you can still have that same $20 million after 20 years, but your net spendable is now $1.67 million instead of $600k.<br /><br />And after 20 years, you actually have MORE than 20 million. My calculations show at a modest 5%, you actually have over 30 million.

dolluper

Captain

See how far your buck goes up here we have the cheapskate lotteries maybe win 5--9---or 16 million for are 83 cent dollar ,but the advantage is your winnings are yax free you get what you win untill you spend it then they tax the crap outta you----man jb post got to me it should read winnings TAX FREE----Frig it was ob that screwed me up not JB sorry JB time for a drink ehhhheck

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> With a gross income in excess of a million dollars annually, it would be well worth it to secure the services of a tax firm, and you won't pay anywhere near 40%.<br />
I agree 100% but keep in mind that me & you (Texas & Nevada) don't have to worry about state income taxes, but MD will take their cut of mattttt's earnings, if not off the original bundle.<br /><br />That's where the Cayman Islands comes in: banking secrecy, white sandy beaches, clear blue water....

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jtexas:<br />I agree 100% but keep in mind that me & you (Texas & Nevada) don't have to worry about state income taxes,
So if you DO decide on the lump sum, you take the first annual payment, move your residence to Nevada or Texas, THEN sell the annuities for a lump sum.

ob

Admiral

Now ,if we could just get Sloopy to work on that time machine,we would know what the winning numbers are.<br /><br />I must admit ,while the odds are stacked waaaay against a person winning ,a win promises the best return of investment that can be got.Less of a contribution than a restaraunt tip.<br /><br />Most I ever won was $10 on a scratch off.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Mattt, I'm with you on the continueing work issue. Imagine what change in attitude you'll have working for the same boss, knowing you have $20 million in the bank. I'll take no crap from anybody at work!