Chasing Closed Threads!

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
I don't really know why I started, but I've become entertained by reading closed threads. Some start out OK and then seem to drift into no mans land. Some are duplicate posts getting zapped. And there are the archives that get dredged up by an eager new poster (heck even a Mod recently). The anticipation builds as I read each post and can tell it's going the wrong way; "When will it get squashed?"

Does anyone think I may be spending too much time in the forums:confused:

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Chasing Closed Threads!

I don't really know why I started, but I've become entertained by reading closed threads.

:eek: WOW.......I thought I was the only one that did that. I wonder if there is some sort of support group.:redface:

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Dawg...maybe you're the support group...I feel better already:p

QC

Supreme Mariner

I can close more if it will help . . . :p

You should see the ones we actually delete :eek:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

It may be just my advancing age, but I think an earlier version of the forum software let you sort by the icon on the left....and you could group the closed ones.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I've caught a couple b/4 they were deleted. There were some jaw droppers alright.........

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Yeah, QC, I've gotten lucky a few times. Like the time when a poster ended up banned for...er...nevermind.:facepalm:

It just occurred to me...QC...Quality Control!:D

QC

Supreme Mariner

QC is a coincidence by the way. Long story, but definitely NOT Quality Control. I obviously get the connection though. Kind of embarrassing now . . . :redface:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Naw .. lets let things go .. past is the past right ;) ..

YD.

nwcove

Admiral

QC is a coincidence by the way. Long story, but definitely NOT Quality Control. I obviously get the connection though. Kind of embarrassing now . . . :redface:

tell the long story lol.....i thought QC was referring to quality control too!

aspeck

Staff member

tell the long story lol.....i thought QC was referring to quality control too!
Let's say it all started a long long time ago, well, maybe not that long, say somewhere between 2006 and 2009 I believe. Back in a time when many people had long multiple word user names. There became a movement to shorten those usernames to initials.

... And that is all the farther I am going ... QC can wear out his own fingers if he wants.

nwcove

Admiral

ahhh.....and the plot thickens!!?? lol

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Let's say it all started a long long time ago, well, maybe not that long, say somewhere between 2006 and 2009 I believe. Back in a time when many people had long multiple word user names. There became a movement to shorten those usernames to initials.

... And that is all the farther I am going ... QC can wear out his own fingers if he wants.
Ahhh....gotcha now. We had a guy that used QC as a nic when I was in the Air Force. It was not very flattering and made the ladies laugh if I recall. Definitely not family friendly.
A_laughing_matter.gif

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

I actually know this one (QC, that is)

But I'm not tellin'

:D

<<)))(((>>

QC

Supreme Mariner

There's only one way you'd know and that was searching. Like I said, more of an embarrassing story than anything, but I'll tell it now that the NASCAR race is under red flag for rain :(

The first, and only other, forum I ever joined was NASCAR.com. I have a Caterpillar background and my favorite car was the #22 with Ward Burton. When I joined that forum I had never had a screename before and I tried to come up with something quick as I didn't even know what a screename really was. well Burton was kind of a quiet guy and I was interested because of CAT, so I signed up as Quietcat. Well it kind of stuck and then I joined here a few years later . . .

Well a couple of years went by, at least one, so I actually think this next part of the story was '06 or '07. We had a member here named Technostupeedo. Those of you that weren't here then will never know what our time with Techno was like. I described him as our crazy Uncle, and I actually enjoyed his antics. He was, however, particularly annoying to some, and I have to admit he got my goat more than a few times. He had a quick wit, and a twisted sense of humor. He was also very bright, and he could wind anybody up if he wanted to. Annnnd . . . he had a weird habit of changing his screename to fit whatever was going on at the time. Often some sort of punitive action, and he'd change it to Techno______ fill in the blank.

To some of us this it was getting old, to others it was "just Techno" and we just got on with it. But someone came up with the idea of a little uprising, and we participated in a little joint protest. I call it the "Name changing incident" . . . And it was funny if you ask me, all of us, within an hour had changed our names. Some to a Techno_____ variation or some other derogatory reference. I don't even recall what I changed mine to. What many of us didn't know though . . . :facepalm: was that once you changed your screename, you couldn't change it back to what it was. Soooooo, I had to come up with something new.

Well I never liked Quietcat. I am not quiet, and I don't really like cats much, so it always felt stupid. Many refer to each other online with two letter acronym type deals, and many were already calling me QC, so I went with that. This was long before I joined the Modulational constituency and the thought of Quality Control never crossed my mind. Heck I'm just a dumb salesman, who the heck cares about QC? That's for the Ops guys, right? :D

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nothin' to be embarrassed about.

I knew the answer :D but not the whole story. Thanks for sharing.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

That's a pretty cool story. Thanks QC. By the way, what ever happened to this Techno fellow?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

How embarrassing can it be? It involved NASCAR and and a Burton! Good story. Which reminds me, I need to finish watching that race. I am avoiding the NASCAR - Richmond thread like the plague........ Now this one too......;)