Chartplotter chart confusion?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
I'm in the market for a chartplotter but the major thing holding me up are the chart chips.. <br /><br />Cost is a major consideration now because the project boat's budget went out the window quite a while back....<br /><br /> Which one to go with for offshore, and in which chartplotter? C-mapNT, Navonics, Lowrance's map create, Hotmaps, Garmin's stuff? I dunno?<br /><br />The more I read about it the worse I get and I'm starting to think that this stuff would confuse the guy who invented the thing... :confused: Maybe someone here can help boil it all down for me?

peterbo3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Chartplotter chart confusion?

Morning Snapperbait,<br />I have a Raymarine 760 GPS/Plotter/Sounder on my 18FT Alloy C/C. Uses C-Map. Great system. Chips can be upgraded with new info at dealers for little cost. Many GPS manufacturers are using C-Map. C-Maps can cover a huge area or just a stretch of coastline 200 miles long. More coverage = more dollars.It may end up being the industry standard. Remember what happened to 8 Track Tape players & Beta video systems. I am very happy with C-Map, in fact I cannot say anything bad about it.<br />Regards,<br />Peter.

peterbo3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Morning Snapperbait,<br />I have a Raymarine 760 GPS/Plotter/Sounder on my 18FT Alloy C/C. Uses C-Map. Great system. Chips can be upgraded with new info at dealers for little cost. Many GPS manufacturers are using C-Map. C-Maps can cover a huge area or just a stretch of coastline 200 miles long. More coverage = more dollars.It may end up being the industry standard. Remember what happened to 8 Track Tape players & Beta video systems. I am very happy with C-Map, in fact I cannot say anything bad about it.<br />Regards,<br />Peter. :D

Boatist

Rear Admiral

SnapperBait<br />I fully understand your problem as I have the same one. I do not think there will ever be a standard as each manufacture makes too much money off of map programs. If you were to unlock all the data on some charts like blue chart it would cost $2000 to do so. I have a old Loran C and a hand held GPS Map unit but looking to get a Larger color fixed mount unit. <br /><br />This year made 3 of the boat shows mainly to look at GPS units and there charts. All I can really tell you is there is no best type. They all will have all the Navigition Aids in detail when they were made just like a NOAA CHART and just like a chart if a buoy is relocated the chart will not change until the next update that you get to pay for. In some area C Map looked best, in other area Navonics was best and still in other area Blue Chart was best. I did not see any of the Lowrance charts. The area that had the biggest difference in detail was the bottom, some would show lots of bottom depth and weather sand, rocks, reef, or shipwreaks and some just give bottom contour lines. Just when you think you found the best type would find another unit that was better in a area. My conclusion was that most unit have good base maps and will give Navigation aids info with out the detail charts but to pick a unit really need to find the area most important to you and see which chart is best for that area. One last point is some units can accept several type charts and so if want to spend lots of bucks should be able to get a good chart. I know this is not much help but I am at the same point as you and really would like to here your conclusion when you make it.<br />Good luck