charging

427hawk

Seaman
hello , i have a 1964 60hp v-4 , mag style evinrude that does not have a charging system of any kind , as an option this motor could be equipped with a generator , but i dont figure a generator , if i could even find one, would be a great solution , anyway my question is should i run two seperate batteries 1 just for starting and the other to run the depth finder, lights and ect or is there another solution ??? i am a newbie in the boating thing and any help would be appericated .................thanks !!

rons boat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: charging

You probably should post this in outboards. The answer to your question is an outboard generator was offered by the manufacturer. It was a belt driven system and not very good. These were very expensive and use old technology. Everybody in 1960 used deep cycle batteries and didn't worry about it. If you can't charge at the dock then you need to consider trading for a motor with a flywheel stator generator which produces in the older models about 6-10 Amperes. My sailboat uses two large deep cycle batteries and does not have a generator. The batteries last for days with all my junk such as autopilot and other asscessories.