charging while fishing

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sometimes when I am fishing, o.k. every time when I am fishing my trolling motor batteries go dead. To get a few more hours out of these would it hurt anything if I hooked them up to the charging system of the cranking battery? I have never had to charge my cranking battery(I know I should) but with my '99 Merc 125 ELPTO would this do the trick after a 30 minute run with the engine to knid of give them a little boost or am I just wasting my time. I've asked a lot of questions about my batteries but when my wife says not now she means it(money). But I can't seem to go without fishing for more than a week at a time and the trolling motor goes real low or all the way down. Just wondering. Thanks

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: charging while fishing

Yes, the trolling battery can be charged by the engine. If you do not want to invest in a battery isolator, get a battery switch. Remember not to make or break connections while the engine is running.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

why is that? I know it will hurt it in some way but please explain.

18rabbit

Captain

Waterone1 can comment on the battery switch.<br /><br />I think you have another problem...running your batteries until they are dead. This will shorten their useful life. Each time they ‘die’ they do not resurrect to the state from which they came. Each ‘death’ is exponentially worse. If you don’t want to tangle with the Mrs. over the cost of some new deep cycle batteries (hint: you won’t win, we never do), you might want to manage the discharging and recharging of the bats you have. And don’t get caught coming back here and asking what batteries to buy after you pilfer the family’s Christmas fund. :)

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rabbit is correct about "killing" the batteries.<br />Now for the "don't make and break connections on live circuits" sermon.<br />The "life safety" part.<br />First of all, even with outboards, the fuel tank is usually inside of the boat, and as we all know, fuel vapors are heavier than air....so they stay close to the floor/bilge. Where are our batteries ? Usually on the floor. What happens when we connect or dissconnect a large current draw....SPARK! What NOT to have around fuel vapors.....SPARK.<br />OK, Now we come to the "I don't want to damage stuff on my boat part". Electronic components (from alternator diodes to fish finders) like a nice steady voltage within their range. Voltage spikes will either kill something right away, or it may take several times to damage them.<br />Even with a good Marine battery switch (should not make any sparks) if your engine is running and charging the starting battery (it was used for 5 seconds and should not be anywhere close to dead)your charging system is just topping off the battery....then you throw the switch to the "dead" trolling battery....everything (diodes, regulator, etc.) has just went from "loafing along" to a split second later of full current draw. While this is not good, it probably won't kill anything (your ignition system will not appreciate going from a happy 13.8 volts down to....10 volts).<br />Now for the real problem :you started, switched over to the dead trolling batteries, you pull anchor and drive 10 minutes to the next spot and flip back to the starting battery. In an instant, your charging system has went from full fielding(putting out every available amp trying to get those dead batteries back to operating voltage) to...... no load at all. The diodes and voltage regulators have just went beyond their maximum voltage( if they didn't just cook) for a split second or two there could have been 18+ volts flowing out to your ignition system and accessories (might have been absorbed by the battery....might not) your fish finder just went into cardiac arrest.<br />Yes, this is extreme. Will it happen ? Most likely not....could it happen? YEP

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. I'll not go with the switch as the batteries are within a foot of my tank inside a compartment. I have to face reality, I have old, bad batteries. Time to start begging.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Here's an idea: put your boat batteries in your cars. The Mrs. can't complain about buying new "marine deep-cycle" batteries for the cars. Can she? ;)

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey I like that one. It would work but the truck is only 5 months old. Makes me wish I had my old one...................Nah

gonefishie

Commander

Get a deep cycle battery and a StayNCharge system (StayNCharge.com.) This system connect to your truck alternator and charges your boat battery as you drive to and from the lake. No more extension cord, finding an outlet, expensive on-board charger. It helps to have a fully charge battery to start with.<br />Good deep cycle: $80<br />StayNCharge: $60<br />More time on the water: priceless!<br />And take off those panties would you? this is less than $200 bucks here..JUST KIDDING.......

18rabbit

Captain

Ney!!! I just saw the new PeTA ad. Gotta stop fishing…they suffer too much. Better to save your money and just eat rocks. :D