Charging voltage 16+ OMC 1.6L 1984

Tomb77

Cadet
I have a 1984 OMC 1.6L 1984 Model. Just got the boat a month ago it is a project but was told it was rebuilt and ready to run. First trip out my new radio alarms with high voltage check with my fuke meter and is around 16 to 16.5 after running for short time. I have read a lot about this problem and think I will add a voltage regulator for my electronics. and run on one battery to keep one good in case it cooks the batery. I have more experance with old 2 stroke bikes and they always ran high and a battery never lasted more then 2 years. Just looking for advice. I plan on putting on a 4 srtoke in s few years but would like to get at least 2 good years of fishing on this one. The boat is a proline 21 foot cuddy and does feel very good in the water even though I don't have the motor running good yet.

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Charging voltage 16+ OMC 1.6L 1984

Need some more info here. What brand and model engine are we talking about. Actually you would prolly get more help posting in the engine specific forum. I would rather fix the charging systems regulator than doing anything else. Depending on the style system on there(alternator or stator) the sensing field isn't seeing the voltage and correcting for it.

Blowing up electronics are no fun.

Bill

Boatist

Rear Admiral

First step is to see if the motor even has a voltage regulator. Anything over 15 volts is too high in my book.

One thing you can try and see if it helps is turn on all the lights to load the output. If it is a motor with no regulator that can help but too high a voltage can blow light also.

Tomb77

Cadet

More information
My motor is a OMC 1.6L 1984 model 2BAXCRA serial number J809542
I was looking for a new regulator rectifier and my number just do not match up with the parts manual.
Parts manual shows a part number of 582904 and I can find a replacement CDI part 193-5204 but does not look any thing like what I have.
On my motor is what looks like just a rectrifier with a number of 5 D1D-RA
Same problem with power pack. Parts list shows a 582454 what I have is a BRP CD4 584027 14 CIE-BA
I think i have an unregulated system that was changes some where along the line. Have read a lot of things online about adding a regulator and might try that but if some things goes like power pack I feel I am in for a big change to go to CDI parts any thoughts.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I do not know your motor so tell us something about it.
OMC to me usually says I/O but 1.6 sounds to small to be an I/O.
So is it a I/O or a outboard. If it is an outboard is Johnson or Evinrude or a Sail drive.
If it is a outboard I would try posting in the correct outboard motor section.
If it is a I/O then would normally have a alternator and the recifier would be inside the alternator.
The voltage regulator could be internal or external in a 1984 model.
The more information you give the more people can help you.

Tomb77

Cadet

The motor is an outboard OMC seadrive 1984 1.6L I have gone through connection and cannot find a problem. S I have ordered a universal voltage regulator and will see how that go should be here next week. It is too rough here this weekend to go out and do more testing so looks like next weekend should have the regulator by then.

john from md

Commander

Tomb77,

Go to the Force engine section and look at the stickys. I have one regarding installation of a universal regulator on a Force outboard. The particulars will work on your engine as well.

The regulator will bring you back to the 14.5 volt range and keep your battery and electronics happy.

Regards,

John

Tomb77

Cadet

I installed a universal rectifier regulator cost was 45 plus shipping. Now charging at 14.5 volts doing well. Took 2 trips this weekend for at least 60 miles and doing well.