charging trolling batteries from outboard

coby-5

Seaman Apprentice
i want to be able to charge my trolling batts from my engine when on the water.my trolls are hooked up 24 volt...batt 1 pos to batt 2 neg.<br />they sell a 12volt phase charger for $50,which when cranking batt is charged auto switches to charge troll batt ,but with mine hooked up 24 volt style is there a way to charge them?<br />04 90hp mercury

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: charging trolling batteries from outboard

Well, Its a nice thought, but even if you could manage to wire it that way, you wouldnt gain much, your alternator on your engine wouldnt put out enough to make a difference just running from fishing hole to fishing hole. Buy a matched set of the biggest ol group 27 deep cycles you can afford, they will last all day unless its very windy, and then whats the use? Its "VERY" important that your batteries are the same age and a matched set.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Lubedude is pretty much right on.<br /> Rough rule of thumb 2 hours of charge for each hour of use.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'm afraid that it can't be done, even with a 3 battery isolator. The positive splits to three batteries, but there's a common ground. That would mix a parallel circuit with a series and that creates a dead short. It could still be done with fancy switching, but the benefits would be slight. There's no substitute for an onboard charger and a good overnight charge before a day of fishing.