Charging system Not Working?

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Gang, Hope someone has a tip for me. I have a pontoon with a 70hp Force outboard. It runs fine, but not charging the battery when running. I've replaced the stator and the voltage regulator/rectifier. Still not seeing a higher voltage going to the battery. It's just running on the battery. Would expect to see 13-15 vdc at the battery terminals when the motor is running. What else can be involved? I'm puzzled, thanks for your thoughts!

Nordin

Commander
The alternator (stator) will start to charge at about 1100-1200 RPM and the regulator/rectifier would regulate the voltageup to about 15-16VDC independent RPM.
You should see voltage rise at the battery over battery voltage at about 1200 RPM.

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is this the charge specification or an assumption?

Have you tried a different battery? A compromised battery will exhibit similar characteristics
As far as I understand the system, the stator and voltage regulator/rectifier is supposed to charge the battery with a higher voltage. The vom shows the battery at 12.5vdc when not running and the same when the motor is running. Am I missing something?

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The alternator (stator) will start to charge at about 1100-1200 RPM and the regulator/rectifier would regulate the voltageup to about 15-16VDC independent RPM.
You should see voltage rise at the battery over battery voltage at about 1200 RPM.
Yes, but I am not seeing that?

Nordin

Commander
Check with a VOM if the alternator is putting out any AC voltage.
Do it with the wires connected to the regulator/rectifier.
Then check if there is any DC voltage output more then battery voltage at the regulator/rectifier.
Outboardignitiondotcom have troubleshoot chart for the regulator/rectifier.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The vom shows the battery at 12.5vdc when not running and the same when the motor is running. Am I missing something?
There are 4 components of the charging system. Stator, regulator, battery cable and the battery.

If you have already replaced the stator and regulator, you have either installed a bad component out of the box or you have a bad cable(s) or battery.

Have you throughly inspected and (ohm) tested both battery cables?

Both ends of the cable(s) nice and shiny?

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Then check if there is any DC voltage output more then battery voltage at the regulator/rectifier.
I am seeing between 25vac at idle up to 60vac on rev up out of the stator (yellow wires). So the voltage/rectifier should be seeing that as it's input. Yet the battery vdc voltage does not go up even when revving up the motor. I did some ohm check comparisons on the bench between the old and new reg/rec. The yellow wires on the old one show OL and meg ohms when referenced to case ground. The new one shows meg ohms on one yellow and 25ohms on the other yellow??? Other wires checked between each other and case ground were similar. Did I possibly get a bad new reg/rectifier?? Kind of lost. Thanks for more input!

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Please my reply to Dingbat, Thanks

Nordin

Commander
Sounds like the regulator/rectifier is bad.
Either the rectifier part is bad or the regulator.
The rectifier part is a single phase rectifier with 4 diodes hooked up in bridge configuration.
The regulator is a zener diode with a zener voltage at about 15-17VDC and it is connected to positive voltage and ground..
When the voltage rise to the level as the zener voltage the zener diode starts to open and it will then gound the input voltage from alternator/rectifier.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am seeing between 25vac at idle up to 60vac on rev up out of the stator (yellow wires). So the voltage/rectifier should be seeing that as it's input. Yet the battery vdc voltage does not go up even when revving up the motor. I did some ohm check comparisons on the bench between the old and new reg/rec. The yellow wires on the old one show OL and meg ohms when referenced to case ground. The new one shows meg ohms on one yellow and 25ohms on the other yellow??? Other wires checked between each other and case ground were similar. Did I possibly get a bad new reg/rectifier?? Kind of lost. Thanks for more input!
That not how you test a rectifier circuit.

A rectifier is simply two sets of diodes opposing each other. In short, you should be able to read continuity between input (AC) and output (DC) direction on way and little to not continuity reading the other way.

If this tests out, you may have a bad regulator section

See attached

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Gang, As it turned out the voltage/reg/rec I bought new was bad. I got one from a different company and the battery is now being charged. Thanks to all for the help!!