Charging Problem Evinrude 110

etbill52

Seaman
Last week I had my boat on the water, the battery for starting was dead. We used a norther battery to jump it and get it started, ran the boat up and down the lake for a while, it still would not start. After we took it out of the water the red wire coming from the motor had a lose connection on it (the cables were find.) Would this have cause it not to charge?

The motor is:
1989 Evinrude 110 HP

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Charging Problem Evinrude 110

Possibly. You need to get it running again and check the charge voltage, they charge between 13 and 15v depending on if its a regulated system or not. Charge the battery up before testing to make sure you are testing with a good battery.

etbill52

Seaman

Thanks for your reply. I put a charger on it as soon as I got home. I will check the volts when I get it back on the lake. When it stops raining:)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The "lose connection" may have done in the rectifier/regulator. Easy to tell if it's charging. Just measure voltage across the battery terminals with motor at a fast idle. If not 13.0 VDC or >, then not charging.

BTW, if your battery has wing nuts, thrown them as far as you can and replace with SS hex nts and washers.

etbill52

Seaman

Thanks everyone for your help, I charged the battery up full with a charger the volt hand read 13 volts, took it to the lake last night at 4000 rpm's it still read 13 volts, didn't go up or down. I didn't run it long was still raining..

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

13 VDC at 4000 RPM is not very good. I would expect around 14.5 VDC, depending on load. Read the voltage at fast idle (1200 RPM) with a digital voltmeter. Those dash gauges are not very accurate.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Wilde1j I disagree, the 110 hp motor is on a combo rectifier/regulated system, if the battery were low in charge I'd expect to see 14-14.5 V at that rpm but because the battery was just charged 13V is typical. My boat does the exact same thing, full charge runs at 13V, ran low 14+, I tested with the fish finder and a meter right on the battery. Prior to that I was getting 12.2 V with no fluctuation ,I found out the rectifier was fried, I haven't had a starting issue/low volt issue since I replaced it. If the system was straight rectifier then yes, 14-16+ volts.

As a test, leave the nav lights on for 30 minutes. Go back to the boat and fire it up with a meter on the battery, the charge should be up instantly from 13V.

etbill52

Seaman

Thanks I will try with the nav lights on and see what I get, Do I need to replace the rectifier? Or try This first? Thanks for the help, Great Fourm to get a helping hand

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Before you start the engine, the battery voltage should be in the 12.4-12.6 range. After starting and running for a while, the engine should restore charge to the battery and the voltage should start to read higher, in the 13-16 volt range (depending on whether yours has a regulator or not.) This is normal. If your battery does not show higher voltage after running for a while, you probably have a charging problem. Charging problems almost always also affect the tachometer readings. If your tach reads odd or not at all, the rectifer or rectifier/regulator is generally the culprit. FYI, the engine ignition runs on it's own power when started, not the battery. Running the trim motor and starting is the only time the engine itself will consume power from the battery.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

If you are getting 13+ volts then no need to replace the rectifier, it is charging. When they aren't charging you will see less than that, 12.2 , 12.0, use a multimeter to be sure, a gauge can be inaccurate.

etbill52

Seaman

If you are getting 13+ volts then no need to replace the rectifier, it is charging. When they aren't charging you will see less than that, 12.2 , 12.0, use a multimeter to be sure, a gauge can be inaccurate.

Thanks, I did get it back on the lake (rain stoped) I Checked with a multmeter it was 12.5, started the motor at 1200 rpm's still read 12.5, we were on the water about 7 hours started it up a few times, run it a short distance, it want go up on the meter no more then 12.5. But it stays around the same, hasn't droped down any more..:confused:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's not charging then, start with the rectifier test, quite common that they blow a diode and will only charge up to 12-12.5.

etbill52

Seaman

That's not charging then, start with the rectifier test, quite common that they blow a diode and will only charge up to 12-12.5.

Sorry to be so dumb, But I haven't any idea how to check the rectifier, and is a diode like a fuse? if so can I check it with a meter if I can find it? Thanks for your help..:redface:

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Sorry to be so dumb, But I haven't any idea how to check the rectifier, and is a diode like a fuse? if so can I check it with a meter if I can find it? Thanks for your help..:redface:

I'll give you a bump as i have the exact situation with my 1987 110 Johnson :(

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

An OEM shop manual will give the exact procedure to check the rectifier. BTW, a fully charged 12V battery will read a static voltage of ~ 12.68 VDC, measured after charging by 30 to 60 minutes. That's why I said earlier 13V wasn't too great ... dash voltmeters are often off by .2 or .3 v.

The following per Joe Reeves:
Not sure if your engine has a water cooled regulator/rectifier or the smaller type rectifier. However, the "gray" wire leading from the tachometer is the sensor wire. This wire connects to the "yellow/gray" lead of the stator/rectifier. If no "gray/yellow" wire exists but rather two plain yellow wires, you'll find the "gray" wire attached to one of the yellow wires.

The following pertains to the smaller type rectifier. If you have the water cooled type, read further down.

(Small Rectifier Description & Location)
(J. Reeves)

On most 2,3,4,6 cylinder engines, the small rectifier is located on the starboard (right) side of the engine just in front of the engines electrical wiring strip. There are a few older V4 engines that have the wiring strip on the rear portion of the engine and the rectifier would be located just under that terminal strip. The smaller horsepower engines usually have the rectifier located on the starboard side of the powerhead close to the carburetor area.

The rectifier appears to be a round object approximately one inch (1") in diameter and also about one inch (1") high. The base of it is sort of triangular in appearance and is attached to the engine with two (2) screws/bolts..... usually one screw/bolt is larger than the other. The rectifier, depending on which one your engine uses, will have either:

One Red wire, one Yellow wire, and one Yellow/Gray wire, or One Red wire, and two Yellow wires.

Note that either of the above rectifiers could have a fourth wire which would be Yellow/Blue

(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

NOTE: For the later models that DO NOT incorporate a wiring terminal strip, splicing into the "Yellow Wire" mentioned will be necessary.

Remove that gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

Enjoy! JWW

bktheking

Vice Admiral

This is the difficult test, Joe Reeves one seems easier.

Here is the test for 1984 and on models with rectifier/regulator, I have to type it out. Boss Hawg, this will apply to you too if you have tilt/trim on your motor.

1. With the engine in a test tank or on the boat in water, connect a voltmeter across the battery terminals and note the reading. If voltage is 12.5 volts or more continue with step 2. If voltage is less than 12.5 volts continue with step 3.

2. Disconnect the ignition charge coil connector(s). Crank the engine in short bursts until the voltmeter with the key in the off position is less than 12.5 Volts.

3. Disconnect the negative battery cable, then the positive battery cable.

4. Connect a 0-40 ammeter in series between the battery side of the starter solenoid and the rectifier/regulator red lead.

5. Reconnect the positive battery cable, then negative battery cable. Recoonect the ignition charge coil connector(s) if disconnected.

6. Start the engine and run at approx 4500 rpm while watching the engine ammeter. The ammeter should read nearly full output (6,9,10,15 or 35 amps depending upon the system). As the engine continues to run, the voltage should stabilize at about 14.5 volts and the alternator output should start to decrease.

7. If the ammeter does not read as specified in step 6, test the stator as described in thie chapter. If the stator is good, replace the rectifier/regulator.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

This is the difficult test, Joe Reeves one seems easier.

Here is the test for 1984 and on models with rectifier/regulator, I have to type it out. Boss Hawg, this will apply to you too if you have tilt/trim on your motor.

1. With the engine in a test tank or on the boat in water, connect a voltmeter across the battery terminals and note the reading. If voltage is 12.5 volts or more continue with step 2. If voltage is less than 12.5 volts continue with step 3.

2. Disconnect the ignition charge coil connector(s). Crank the engine in short bursts until the voltmeter with the key in the off position is less than 12.5 Volts.

3. Disconnect the negative battery cable, then the positive battery cable.

4. Connect a 0-40 ammeter in series between the battery side of the starter solenoid and the rectifier/regulator red lead.

5. Reconnect the positive battery cable, then negative battery cable. Recoonect the ignition charge coil connector(s) if disconnected.

6. Start the engine and run at approx 4500 rpm while watching the engine ammeter. The ammeter should read nearly full output (6,9,10,15 or 35 amps depending upon the system). As the engine continues to run, the voltage should stabilize at about 14.5 volts and the alternator output should start to decrease.

7. If the ammeter does not read as specified in step 6, test the stator as described in thie chapter. If the stator is good, replace the rectifier/regulator.

Thanks, mine does have T&T :rolleyes:
Puzzeling thing on mine it the battery never falls below 12.4 volts when in use but never reads more than 12.6 :confused:
Opps- don't mean to hijack a thread :redface:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

What are you using to determine voltage, a gauge or a multimeter, big difference.