Charging boat batteries

tmljunkmail

Seaman
Hello......silly question here on battery charging.

Just got a new (used) boat. Has a two bank charger.

I have a starter battery and two batteries used for my 24 volt trolling motor (so they are in series or in parallel whichever is which).

It appears that the previous owner has both banks of the charger running to the trolling batteries. Is this necessary?

Can't I pull one bank off and run it to my starting battery?

If so how would I connect the other bank to the terminals on the two trolling batteries?

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Charging boat batteries

If you have a 24 volt trolling motor the batteries are wired in series so both outputs of the charger MUST go to the troller batteries (one set to each). Starting batteries don't generally get deeply discharged and the engine can keep that one topped off. You could install a battery maintainer (Schumaker makes a nice one for about 30 bucks). Like the dual bank charger, it can be left connected all the time.

82mustang

Seaman

Seen similar post in the electrics forums here on Iboats, I'd try there.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have a similar set up with 2 batteries poowering my boat, not 24 volt though, with a 2 bank charger.

Also the trolling batteries are more than likely not exactly in the same condition and they will only charge to the lesser one so if one battery will only hold 80% charge that is all the other one will get, with the 2 bank each one is fully charged.

Leave the charger on the trolling batteries as they are always used and discharged and every other trip toss a regular charger on the starter just to be safe.

I actually have jumper lugs on my boat so if the start battery dies I can jump it to the other 2 and get going, dead on the water is bad,