charging batteries

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice
what is the best way to charge trolling motor batteries? 2 amp or 10 amp?????? batteries are used 3-4 times a week.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: charging batteries

if you are deep discharging these batteries 3-4 times a week, 2 amps won't replenish them in that time. I'd charge them at a rate of 10 amps until their voltage rises to 14V, then switch to 2 amp for the remaining time between uses.... :)

ndemge

Commander

You might want to look into getting an automatic charger if you are using them that offten.<br /><br />Once they are full, even 2 amps is enough to cook em.<br /><br />remember, AUTOMATIC charger, not a timer.<br /><br />Once it gets up to full, it will put on a float charge, checking with a meter, my float charge is only about .1 amps.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Damstriper<br />Go with the 10 amp automatic charger. Automatic should not allow voltage to exceed 14.4 volts. This will charge most group 24 batteries in 12 hours or so. Group 27 will take longer. With the automatic charge will taper off zero amps when it is charged up so you can not over charge and hurt battery.

damstriper

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info. i've learned not to listen to the guys at wal-mart. i kept having batteries go bad after a year and they were telling me to only charge them on 2 amp, never to charge 10 amp.

Patrick123

Cadet

I always heard you are supposed to "charge it like you drained it." Maybe if you drained it with an anchor light or something charge it on 2 amp but with a trolling motor I would guess 10 would be better.

petryshyn

Commander

the determining factor for charging rate is Temperature. Keep the battery under 125F and you're safe.....

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For those that didn't "click" on the link.........<br /><br />Deep-cycle batteries require a different charging technique due to their unique internal construction. A battery charger specifically labelled for deep-cycle batteries is required and it must have a setting for 10 Amp (1OA) at 12 volts (12V3. If your deep cycle charger has a l5A or 25A capability this is satisfactory also. If your battery charger has switch settings for different modes of operation you should not use it on the 2A setting when charging a deepcycle battery. The 2A setting is a trickle charge setting on most battery chargers and this will result in reduced battery performance and can ruin a perfectly good deepcycle battery within weeks. :confused: