Charge slowly moves up to 17.5 volts????

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Battery cold reads 12 Volts, I start the motor and it volt meter shows 13.8 to 14.2 volts.<br /> After a little while it start to make its way up and reached 17.5 volts and then flucuated between 16.8 -17.2 volts.<br />stator or rectifier problem?<br />classic 50 -1986<br />Any recomendations please

Laddies

Banned
Re: Charge slowly moves up to 17.5 volts????

Your 50 has no voltage regulator, you may have a storage battery with little capacity or one that is going bad or a bad connection. the only real fix to the over charging if it is a problem would to install a regulater--Bob

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick reply Bob.<br />From what I read it must be normal, as long as my battery is up to scratch?

emckelvy

Commander

Since the 50 is unregulated it's just going to keep charging to a higher level; by putting a load on it you can control this somewhat.<br /><br />If you have running lights, just leave them on while you're operating, and it'll keep the voltage to a reasonable level.<br /><br />A very Low Tech and Zero-Cost way of managing the problem!<br /><br />HTH...........ed

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by Rovernaut:<br />After a little while it start to make its way up and reached 17.5 volts and then flucuated between 16.8 -17.2 volts.
And now, ladies and gentlemen, we know why it is so important to use only MARINE batteries in a boat. They are designed to cope with this very situation.<br /><br />Chris..............

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all. It puts me more at ease now.

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the water level often, my 1994 40 also has no regulator & puts out 17.5 volts & I've added water twice this season allready

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can a regulator be retro fitted?????

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was givin a price @ over $ 200 US dollars.<br />{ cant remember the exact amount but it was up there & made me decide to live with it } but yes they can be added.<br />Maybe one can go with a " non Mercury " product & save $, I never invistigated it much further.

Moody Blue

Captain

I have heard that radioshack has inexpensive high capacity 3 terminal regulators that can be jury-rigged to work OK. Not worth the effort for me so I've never investigated further. You will also require a heatsink if you go this route. <br /><br />If you want simple, (simple is best in my opinion) just be sure and use a good quality MARINE battery as achris pointed out above and forget about the regulator.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Yep I'll live with it if it is supposed to be as designed by Mercury.<br />I was just relating to a car , if the voltage exeeds the given level then you had a problem.