Chantix and quitting smoking - Who's used it?

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
Been a week now on my 401100th :)D) try...

I'm on it now and its really helping with the cigs, but jeez these symptoms aren't making it pleasant:

Nervousness - Hands constantly shaking. Been off cigarettes for about a week, so I don't imagine its withdrawl. Its like an alcoholic going through withdrawl though.

Nausea - General sick feeling in the mornings and evenings after I take the medicine. Was this drug invented by women? Did they want everyone to know what morning sickness is like or what??

Dreams - man the dreams and some insomnia are unreal. The insomnia is not too bad, the dreams are amazing. I think I'm actually sleeping better though with the dreams. I don't seem to be sleeping so deeply.

What have you guys/gals thought about Chantix?

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: Chantix and quitting smoking - Who's used it?

This answer will surprise some long time members.

I am a Pharmacist.This is the first time ever on this forum I've stated what I do for a living.

I started Chantix in April 2007 after smoking for over 40 years. I haven't smoked since. I tried patches,Wellbutrin,Hypnocist,and all the smoke and mirrors remedies before taking Chantix.
Yes, the dreams were strange but I did not have any nausea or any other unpleasant side affects.
To help a 40 year smoker quit, I endorse Chantix as their new poster boy!!!

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting, I just found this (just as a side note and something to keep in mind) if you're taking it:

Additional Side Affects:
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/chantix.htm

Page 3 halfway down (I'll list the frequent ones here):
GASTROINTESTINAL DISORDERS Frequent: Diarrhea, Gingivitis.

GENERAL DISORDERS AND ADMINISTRATION SITE CONDITIONS. Frequent: Chest pain, Influenza like illness, Edema, Thirst.

INVESTIGATIONS. Frequent: Liver function test abnormal, Weight increased.

MUSCULOSKELETAL AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE DISORDERS. Frequent: Arthralgia, Back pain, Muscle cramp, Musculoskeletal pain, Myalgia.

NERVOUS SYSTEM DISORDERS. Frequent: Disturbance in attention, Dizziness, Sensory disturbance.

PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERS. Frequent: Anxiety, Depression, Emotional disorder, Irritability, Restlessness.

RENAL AND URINARY DISORDERS. Frequent: Polyuria.

REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM AND BREAST DISORDERS. Frequent: Menstrual disorder.

RESPIRATORY, THORACIC AND MEDIASTINAL DISORDERS. Frequent: Epistaxis

SKIN AND SUBCUTANEOUS TISSUE DISORDERS. Frequent: Hyperhidrosis.

VASCULAR DISORDERS. Frequent: Hot flush, Hypertension.

MikDee

Banned

Been a week now on my 401100th :)D) try...

I'm on it now and its really helping with the cigs, but jeez these symptoms aren't making it pleasant:

Nervousness - Hands constantly shaking. Been off cigarettes for about a week, so I don't imagine its withdrawl. Its like an alcoholic going through withdrawl though.

Nausea - General sick feeling in the mornings and evenings after I take the medicine. Was this drug invented by women? Did they want everyone to know what morning sickness is like or what??

Dreams - man the dreams and some insomnia are unreal. The insomnia is not too bad, the dreams are amazing. I think I'm actually sleeping better though with the dreams. I don't seem to be sleeping so deeply.

What have you guys/gals thought about Chantix?

That's my symptoms exactly! as I mentioned on the other thread about smoking. The dreams got crazy, depressing, disturbing! I gave up on this stuff, Chantix is not for everyone. Still looking for the "Magic Bullet"

Good Luck, Mike

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM AND BREAST DISORDERS. Frequent: Menstrual disorder
Helloooooo!!!!
With all them side effects, me don't think I will try them.
I am screwed up enough now.

tommays

Admiral

With The new DRUG FACT laws they have to report EVERY sympton real or not from the studys

Every drug has a pretty scary list ;)

Tommays

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

I'm gonna keep on smoking, it's safer

MikDee

Banned

Tried the Chantix on two seperate ocassions, because I'm a glutton for punishment I guess,,, anyway, I'm done with it. I went back on the patches last week (Great smokeout Thursday) for a week, and still couldn't stop, all I was able to do was cut my smoking to 1/2 pack a day, down from a bit over a pack a day. I consider that an improvement, although some may not. Also tried Zyban on two seperate ocassions, no luck,,, but, I'm gearing up to use both the patches, & Zyban, together this time, in the near future.

rocky100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I took chantix for 2 months-and didnt smoke after that-no desire at all-that lasted 6 months-then i started smoking again-so i am back on the chantix again.(today is the 2nd day)
Absolutely no side effects----however, i saw on tv that some people committed suicide--my doctor failed to mention that side effect, but i`m still here, so i`ll try it again.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tryed Zyban, no results. Tryed the patch, couldn't keep it lit. Will try Chantix next, not looking forward to mentraul disorders or suicide.....
icon11.gif

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Tryed Zyban, no results. Tryed the patch, couldn't keep it lit. Will try Chantix next, not looking forward to mentraul disorders or suicide.....
icon11.gif

ROFL - I needed that. Been a horrible week at work.

bobo1

Seaman Apprentice

I do lung function testing for a pulmonary medicine group. Sorry to hear about those who've had side effects with Chantix. Overall, it is a wonderful drug. I test many people daily who are on the verge of becoming respiratory cripples due to smoking. I tested a lady recently who said that she had quit smoking for "a day". Thinking that she had just quit hours ago, I encouraged her to hang in there. But then she said "that was 8 months ago". At that point I was confused. She then went on to say that beginning 8 months ago, when she got up each morning, she made a daily commitment to herself to not smoke that day. She said "I can smoke tomorrow, but not today". After several months of common sense repetition, it worked. Maybe this will help someone out there who is struggling.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sylvia, is a mental health counselor, she has had 5 clients try it, but none have succeded, but they were mental health patients also. she feels the chantix, is not working with the psycotrophic medications.

MikDee

Banned

Just a Heads Up about Chantix! To me this stuff is Evil, I'll never take it again, but your results maybe different, check this out:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/healthsciencetv/stories/wfaa071128_mo_chantix.4b4d129d.html"

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

The messed up dreams forced me to give it up. Just wacky!!!

MikDee

Banned

The messed up dreams forced me to give it up. Just wacky!!!

I think it fried my brain, been off it for month's, and I still get depressing, disturbing, dreams on occasion.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

The hospital my wife works at has gone completely smokeless. Not even on hosptial grounds/property. The Chantix was handed out. The first month about half of the staff quit smoking. One month later, most were back to smoking.

BTW there was several occassions that people who were on blood pressure medicine that were taking Chantix almost died. It became toxic with the combination of the meds.

A few of the docs said that the drug was not fully researched with the introduction of other meds. So be careful if your on any other meds that may interfer with your system. Quitting smoking maybe cool, but quitting by death doesn't sound so good. Of course after death, your smoking habit is over with.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I'm a smoker, and thats what I'm looking for is that magic cure, but I don't want all the possible side affects. I've quit in the past several times. The longest I made it was 3 months.

I need to really make up my mind to do so. I was going through the check book the other day and for 1 month, I spent 246.00 on cigs. It seems like that would be enuff to make me want to quit.

rocky100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I`m getting a lot of really crazy dreams-this didnt happen the first time I took chantix---will keep u posted.

MikDee

Banned

I`m getting a lot of really crazy dreams-this didnt happen the first time I took chantix---will keep u posted.

Ayup! That was my experience too!