Changing Valve cover gaskets 5.0 GXI-e

highpowerdad

Seaman
So, 2005 5.0GXI-e, I think the valve cover gaskets are weeping a little, when I changed the plugs, there was oil down each side. I haven't looked too closely, but can I remove the covers without removing a bunch of other "stuff", ie risers, fuel lines etc? how involved is it? Any particular preferred replacement gaskets or lessons learned? Or just put seal-conditioner in the oil and let it go?
Thanks
Scott

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Are the center bolts nice and snug?(don't overtighten) this style (center bolt) is not known for leaks, like the older perimeter style was. In fact when I took my engine apart to replace blown head gaskets 3 years ago, the original gaskets from 1988 were still not leaking. I had an earlier Chevy small block with the perimeter bolts ('72 Chevy Impala 350 cu in) and they always leaked even when new.
I think you'd have to remove the exhaust manifolds and or elbows on both sides to do this job.
For the gaskets don't get them from VP just pick up a set of Fel Pro small block Chevy V8 gaskets.
Don't waste time with seal conditioner.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Seal conditioner works in a very questionable way. It softens and causes swelling of seals. This action works for a short time until the softened seal begins leaking again. Using it for valve cover gaskets will cause other seals to leak making a relatively simple repair more complex in the end.

Just do whatever it takes to replace the gaskets and avoid the mechanic in a can who can't be found when it's time to do some real wrench turnin'.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
do you have any traces of rust on the top of the valve covers, if so, you could have them rusted thru around the return that makes the lip.

check the condition of the breather elbow grommets. and breather tubes.

as stated above, doubt the rubber gaskets under your valve covers are what is leaking unless the bolts are loose.