Changing over motor, controls, and wiring to new boat

So I just bought a center console boat without a motor. It has the steering wheel and cable but nothing else except a rats nest of wires. I plan on rerunning the electrical but as far as the controls, any advice you can give before I start would be appreciated. I understand I have to snake the cables under the floor but what should I do/not do?

Also, my controls are side mount and this boat is designed for top mount. It has the cutout where the old controls were. But I don't have the money for new controls so I need to mount mine on the side of the console. I'm sure this has been done so any pointers on doing this?

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
This may be a bit late. From what I have found in dealing with my morphodite boat is this: Take a lot of pictures. I have found that in both of the control levers that I have the shift and throttle cables can be swapped with each other. For instance, if you have a boat where the control lever is on the right and you want to use it on the left. Turn the housing around and swap the cables. I do not have any pics at this time. However, if/when you decide to do something like this, it's pretty self explanatory when you look at the insides. The shift lever can also be rotated using the serrations on the lever shaft. I know with out pics, its a bit hard to understand. When you take the SLIDE the small plastic cover off, and then unscrew the metal cover plate, you'll understand what I am talking about.

Wiring? Again, take lots of pics. Get some schematics from a marine or automotive manual. Just remember that anything you run power to will also have to have a ground coming back to the battery.

Hope this helps.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sell your used controls, buy the used controls you need