Changing outdrive on my inline 6 165 HP.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Howdy, well back again this season with a new task. Was going to change water pump in lower unit. Decided to change whole out drive because suspect the one on there is for an 8 cyl. When pulled old one off noticed a part that has me scratching my head. Sending pics. Any in put much appreciated. It's the part next to starboard trim cyl.

Attachments

• 20240629_114706.jpg
    20240629_114706.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240629_114707.jpg
    20240629_114707.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240627_173721.jpg
    20240627_173721.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class
thats your shift slide on all drives except Bravo`s
Thank you BTW Doctur. Can see need to get the Mercury manual for my specific model. Have the Seloc, to me it tries to cram 100# of materials in a 1# bag.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the new outdrive on with much sweating, 3 people.
My ? is 2 fold. 1should it be real hard to get outdrive last 2". #2 no water comes out of hub or pee hole when I start? Already making prep. to pull outdrive back off. Thank you for any and all input.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, had it were could turn with 2 fingers as recommend. Bought one of those special 3 in 1 tools.

Scott06

Admiral
Got the new outdrive on with much sweating, 3 people.
My ? is 2 fold. 1should it be real hard to get outdrive last 2". #2 no water comes out of hub or pee hole when I start? Already making prep. to pull outdrive back off. Thank you for any and all input.
There are o rings on the shaft that seal to gimbal bearing and ther can be a build up of grease on the splines and in the coupler that can make it hard to seat the last bit. Did u have it in forward both drive and shifter when you put it back on ? That makes the shift shoe line up. Drive needs to be kept in fwd with prop held ccw to keep it from popping out of gear. Look under bellhousing at drive that it is lined up ok with shift shaft .if forced on you can break the shift shoe, ask me how I know…

most of the water comes out the idle relief Ports on transom housing if yours has them. Possible water tube in drive is not connected? Take hose from drive off of thermostat housing turn water on to muffs should come out at engine. It will take a bit to fill engine and start coming out back , but no pee hole like on OBs

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you Scott06, just checked all is correct with shifter. Pulled hose and turned water on to muffins. Absolutely no water getting thru..

Scott06

Admiral
Thank you Scott06, just checked all is correct with shifter. Pulled hose and turned water on to muffins. Absolutely no water getting thru..
Likely one of gaskets is wrong in pump install water should be coming up. I can’t imagine that yeh impeller blades could block the flow but might be worth bumping the starter to move the impeller and see if water comes up.

Only time I’ve seen that is when an Impeller blade broke off and closed off pump outlet

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will try that before I take lower unit off. My friend loaned me his cherry picker, should help if end up pulling outdrive too. Have a new water pump kit purchased for other outdrive.

Scott06

Admiral
Will try that before I take lower unit off. My friend loaned me his cherry picker, should help if end up pulling outdrive too. Have a new water pump kit purchased for other outdrive.
the MC1 , Alpha drives are light enough if you tweak the trailer front up or down you can get it so the skeg is on the ground. Put a board or plywood down and you can take the weight off it

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a question about large o ring for outdrive retainer. My Son said he was sure it was in right position as the drive shaft went into engine. If it wasn't could that have caused it to be xtra hard for it to snug up?

Scott06

Admiral
I have a question about large o ring for outdrive retainer. My Son said he was sure it was in right position as the drive shaft went into engine. If it wasn't could that have caused it to be xtra hard for it to snug up?
are you talking about the approx 4" diameter quad ring (square)? or the orings on the driveshaft itself ? if either are not in right place will be a ***** to get on .

the big quad rings needs to be glues into the bellhousing and set up before putting drive in. Use contact cement, weathers trip adhesive or bellows adhesive