changing engine oil

rockytop93

Seaman
04 yamaha 6 hp 4 stroke what is the procudure sor changing the oil? Also what oil is recommended? thanks in advance.

Re: changing engine oil

did you ever find out what oil and what procedure?
I am looking for the same thing for a 9.9.
Thanks,
Aaron

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I have converted my Yamaha 4 stroke to 10-40 synthetic oil. I am long out of warranty and love the thought of synthetic in my motors. On my KeyWest we picked up 200 rpm wot after the change. What is important to realize is that once using synthetic, you should not go back....
On both those motors, you should be able to tilt them full up, remove the oil drain plug and slowly lower them. I use a funnel with a hose attached and drain into a 5 gal bucket. I do one motor, than the other. By the time I come back to the first one, the filter comes out with no oil spill...
You must be careful and not overtighten the drain plug. The squish washer will flatten and you can leak oil. Don't know the torque specs, but on mine, I bought new plugs and torque as required.
Pretty simple and straightforward. And if you use Amsoil, you will read good things about using synthetic oils in marine 4 strokes. I, however use Castrol Syntec...just match the viscosity rating your motor calls for..also, I use synthetic in my lower units....good luck!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Switching back and forth between synthetic and regular oil is not an issue. In fact the two can be mixed although additive packages may not be compatible but that is not an issue in an emergency situation such as needing a quart of oil and all you have is regular. Not switching back to regular oil from synthetic has been an old wives tale for years. There is actually more of an issue switching from regular to synthetic. If your engine uses oil, it will use more synthetic. If your engine leaks oil it will leak more synthetic. However if your engine has varnish build up synthetic will clean it up.