Changing Elec motor on power trailer dolly? (from 500W to 800W), not sure what to look for on Aliba etc

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im considering trying to build one for myself. There is a cheap one that is 550w, but even that is limited to 7deg and will only run on concrete (doesnt like gaps or anything inconsistent), it is good value at only $350 compared to the more powerful $3000 models, but lacks the power I need for one section that is just slightly more than 7deg.

Here is the $350 option https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B5GDRM7/?tag=marinetalking-20

You can obviously spend a lot of money for a more powerful one, but this isnt an option.

However what Im thinking of trying is the $350 model and seeing if I can get an 800w motor somewhere to make it more powerful?

In reality I mostly need a dolly that has a handbrake so when I turn my 15ft GRP boat 180deg around on a 10deg slope which flattens out to 2deg. The brake is to stop the boat getting away on me :). I can then in theory go down to the neighbour (on the same 2deg easement drive) and turn the car around in there drive, reverse it up and back the boat into its spot.

Havnt seen any manual trailer dollys here that have a brake (on the handle), but I have seen them on websites, possibly in the US.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Shows up as $ 775 to me.

This thing handles a #6,000 load up to a 7 degree incline. Can’t see a 16’ boat weighing anywhere near that

Unless it’s a gear motor you will have to address the gearbox as well.

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Shows up as $ 775 to me.

This thing handles a #6,000 load up to a 7 degree incline. Can’t see a 16’ boat weighing anywhere near that

Unless it’s a gear motor you will have to address the gearbox as well.
Its not the weight, its the incline of slightly more than 7 degrees. Video on youtube shows it struggling, but hes using it on paved drive. It may work as is, or it may not, is $500 where I actually live.