Changin the Oil on a F100

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have lost my owners manual and need to know how to change the oil on a 2001 Yamaha 100 Four Stroke. I usually have the dealer do it but the keep the boat way too long and the cost is crazy. Please help me, I dont think it should be hard.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Changin the Oil on a F100

hello<br /> I am sitting here trying to remember which side your filter is on. anyway I think its on the port side on that motor. warm the engine up. then shut it off. tilt the motor at least 2/3 the way upturn the engine hard to stbd to move the filter to a position it can drain back into the block. not all the oil will drain back.after 10 min or so tilt the motor so the ventilation plate is level. use a 14 mm socket and go up through the gray rubber tube at the back of the engine. I use an old an yamma lube jug with the bottom cut off to drain the oil into.make sure you catch the gasket on the plug. its a copper crush type. some engines did not have on from the factory so you really should pick up a new one just in case. replace the plug and gasket after draining.<br />then I cut a pice of plastic from a milk jug. tilt the motor back up, turn it to port. remove the filter using the plastic milk jug piece to direct the oil outside the engine pan. install a new previously oiled fitler, tilt the motor back down and refill with oil.my tune up spec guide says it holds approx 4.97 qts with a filter.<br /> I put 4 qts in then start the engine and check for leaks. then if no leaks shut off the engine and tilt about1/2 way for 5 min. then tilt level and adjust oil level to halfway up the crosshatched portion of the dipstick. in other words, your not trying to fill it to the full mark but halfway up.<br /> good luck and keep posting