Changed impeller - now there is a weird outdrive noise!!

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice
Morning guys,

I have a 2001 Rinker Captiva 272 with a 454/Bravo III combination. It was intermittently overheating so I changed the impeller this weekend. It was missing some of the fins and definitely the cause of the problem. I replaced it and then I started the boat with muffs. I let it warm up and the temp held constant at 140 degrees. It idled great. Then, I revved the motor up a little bit (1500 RPMs or so) and it was making this weird, very noticeable/loud ticking noise that appears to be coming from the outdrive, that gets worse the higher you rev. It has never made this noise before and it leads me to believe it is something I did when I changed the impeller. It seems odd that the noise of coming from the outdrive though. Has anybody ever heard of this before?

I made sure my gear lube overflow is full and I verified the level on the outdrive in case it was a fluid issue. It shifts in and out of gear normally and still makes the noise when in gear.

Any thoughts?? :confused:

cr2k

Captain
Re: Changed impeller - now there is a weird outdrive noise!!

Did you find ALL the pieces from the impeller? It is very important so they don't end up where they shouldn't be (like in the heat exchanger or thermostat) and create further problems.

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

The fins that were off were pretty chewed up. I found one big chunk and that was caught in the impeller housing.

It seems those pieces would get caught in the engine somewhere. They wouldn't get caught in the outdrive and make it cause a noise like this, would it?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The output hose from the impeller housing goes to the cooler that is in the very top/back of the engine compartment; wondering if there could be some pieces stuck there that makes it sound like it's coming from the drive.

You have the same year/model has mine and should be the MPI engine which should have a 160 degree thermostat so if you really were running at 140, that's not warm enough.
As you go through troubleshooting and fixing this, get a temperature gun to verify the actual temperatures since gauges can be wrong.

Mark

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

the impeller is engine mounted on a B3, has nothing to do with the outdrive

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice

That's why I'm skeptical as to how it would be making this noise because of the impeller (even if pieces broke off the old impeller).

I heard it could be a gimble bearing. Does that make sense?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's why I'm skeptical as to how it would be making this noise because of the impeller (even if pieces broke off the old impeller).
I heard it could be a gimble bearing. Does that make sense?

A shredded impeller should not cause what you describe; seems like there could still be pieces somewhere.

BTW: the water leaving the impeller housing circulates through the engine and exhaust system and exists via the exhaust pipe then the exhaust tube/bellows then through the drive. This exhaust path is directly below the u-joint bellows where the gimbal resides.

Mark