Change pitch on stainless steel prop?

proline2

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a l984 23' Proline walkaround cuddy with 3.8 v6 OMC I/O. I recently put on a stainless prop with the same 15" diameter by 17" pitch as me aluminum prop. Since then the rpms have dropped to a max of 3900-4000, instead of the 4200-4600 they should be. My speed has also dropped. Can I have the prop repitched down an inch or so to bring up the rpms, and how much of a job is this? Also, what about keeping the 17" pitch and having the diameter reduced? Anybody out there have a prop that perfoems well with this type boat? My top speed right now is around 29 mph. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Change pitch on stainless steel prop?

Any Good prop shop can beat it down a inch or two.... They would know best if the dia. should be changed....

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's just the opposite of what should have happened. Usually an SS prop will bring up your speed by a few miles an hour and raise your RPMs just because of the smoother surface and less drag. I would check to be certain that the prop really is the same. A prop shop can measure the prop and determine the true pitch. You can usually replace an aluminum prop with a SS of 1 pitch range higher and expect the same RPM with a slight increase in speed. The SS prop will have some cupping on the blades that the aluminum prop won't have but this just helps the prop bite better- it shouldn't kill your rpm that bad. <br /><br /> You can have the shop remove some pitch if you want. Doesn't cost too much to do that either. <br /><br />UFM82

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with UF---You need a pitch guage or advice from a prop shop. One of the props has been reworked to a different spec. than what you've been told. My guess is the aluminum one is not what you thought it was.

proline2

Seaman Apprentice

Actually, I had a 135 Evinrude that did the same thing when I went to a stainless prop, the rpms on that dropped from 5600 to 4400, and the speed went down slightly. I have two aluminum props I've used on my current boat and they perform the same, each with 17" pitch. The stainless prop is marked 17", but other than a visual inpection I have no way to actually measure it. I will definitely check into it with a prop shop I know of. Thanks for the replies.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I just went out today to test my standard 14 dia. x 17" pitch aluminum prop against a recently purchased (used) 13"dia x 19" stainless prop that I purchased off ebay. I have a 16 ft Peterborough open deck boat with a cobra 3.0 and here are my results:<br /><br />The Aluminum 17" prop had much better hole shot and grabbed really well in tight turns with superior acceleration and maintained speed in curves.(maximum rpms 4750)<br /><br />The stainless was slightly faster by 1-2 miles per hour . In tight turns, it would actually spin in its own wash and feel like it lost all grab in the water and then suddenly slowly grab and accelerate moderately.(mawximum rpms 4200)<br /><br />All in all I think I'm going to have the stainless prop repitched to either 18" or maybe even 17" pitch. I'll talk to my prop shop guy for his advice.

proline2

Seaman Apprentice

Cobra, it's interesting that you mentioned getting cavitation with the stainless prop. I forgot to mention it, but I seem to get it with the stainless prop I'm running whereas I don't remember getting it with the aluminum. This has only happened in a relatively tight turn. HMMMM.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Something to stick in your head..<br /><br />This may sound corny to you but if I were in your shoes, I'd put the old prop back on the boat and see if the RPM's return to what they were before.<br /><br />It would kill you later if you found out all you had was a minor tuneup problem causing the loss in RPM which just happen to occur at the same time you installed the SS prop. :( It happens.<br /><br />If the RPM's return with the old prop on there, by all means...head for the prop shop pros.. for sure!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> most prop shops wont attempt to repitch a stainless wheel. they can play with the cup at the trailing edge. even with aluminium they wont usually try more than a 2" change in pitch. sounds like you went from an uncupped AL. wheel to a cupped SS one. they may try to take some of the cup out. I agree with the advice to retry the AL wheel then have it measured. there should be a whole subject just on props. seems with the new 4 strokes all the dealers are trying to prop it like a 2 stroke. prop technology is very confusing and what works on one rig wont work well on a similar rig.<br />good luck and keep posting

proline2

Seaman Apprentice

I checked both props and even though the stainless one is not a cupped prop per se, it seems to have a little more cup in it than the aluminum does. The reason for going to stainless was to replace the aluminum prop which was damaged by a lobster pot rope. The engine runs as smooth now as it did before but because of the damage to the aluminum prop I can't put it back on right now to check it against the stainless. I will be checking in with a prop shop to see what can be done with it. By the way, I checked in my OMC manual this morning and it recommended either stanless or aluminum in 15 x 17. Max speed for my size boat with that prop was listed at 28-32 mph, so I'm really not out of line with my present speed situation, I'm just running too few rpm's for the engine. Keeps the posts coming, this is helpful. Thanks