change impeller or not?

EL-BATO

Cadet
Hey folks, 88 OMC 3.0, Cobra Drive.

Had the boat 2 years and temp gauge holds a steady 140 at any rpm/speed all day long.

Last year while winterizing, two small chunks of impeller came out of one of the hoses I disconnected. I didnt want to assume it was necessarily from the current one since I dont know the boat's history so I decided not to change it and run the boat this year with a very close eye on the temp. Same solid 140 all season.

Now it's time to put the boat away and I have an impeller kit (ive never installed one before) and despite last year's evidence, boat's cooling seemed fine two seasons in a row.

My dilemma is this: Do you fix something that technically ain't broke? Or do it and classify it as "preventative" maintenance? Lol

(The other thread on rising temp after impeller change prompted me to write this)

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: change impeller or not?

You could always wait until the motor overheats miles from nowhere. I'm a firm believer in preventive maintenance. Better to be safe than sorry.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

IF??? YOU found even 1/4 of 1/4 of a chunk you should be replacing it.
If you found 1 tiny piece?? Then it might already be too late??
Are you starting it without a hose attached?
These things need to have water attached or in the water.
Like bhile says it's gonna go out when your at the furthest point in the trip.

EL-BATO

Cadet

Ended up changing the impeller after all. Turned out to be really simple to change and the old impeller was really chewed up with only half its blades left....! I'm surprised it was able to circulate ANY water at all...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Did you locate all the missing impeller pieces?