Chance to buy old Johnson. Advice Please

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought an Achilles 7'7" inflatable dinghy and I need a motor. I found a 1963 Johnson 3 horse (JW18R) on Craig's List for $275. 2nd owner, fresh water only, good shape.
crDwrkbloju9b9soUOOuBcbPTTDB.jpg
Should I be worried about buying a motor this old ? Will parts be available ? Anything I should look for in particular ? This motor has an integral fuel tank with a screw-down vent cap. Will I be able to close this vent and safely lay her on her side or will she leak ? Finally, recommended fuel/oil ratio. Is it 50:1 ? Weight ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Chance to buy old Johnson. Advice Please

That is one of the best small outboards. . . no, THE best small outboard ever made, lowranger.

There are thousands still in regular use.
Parts are available.
Fuel mix is 24:1
Spark plugs are Champion J4C, gapped at .030".
Points are set at .020".

$275 is high in the market, but from its appearance I would call it a good deal. I would buy it in a Dallas minute.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks JB. I thought it might be 24:1. I asked the owner and he said he was using a synthetic @ 50:1. Should this fact be a deal-breaker?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it starts and runs buy it NOW!!!!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Just buy it.......abused will out last all of us..(own 3)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I notice this has the weedless drive.It is suposed to operate better in weedy conditions.It is operated with the antivent plate paralell with the surface.
I would think the standard straight drive is more efficient
with its 3 blade prop.Probably not enough to tell though.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yup. I had one as a kid. It was on a 12 foot Glasspar and in order to get it to plane, I had to jack the engine all the way out so the prop was parallel to the surface. Still have fond memories of that engine though. I bought it used and jammed up with varnish- once I finally got it running, it ran like a champ and never gave me any trouble. Finally traded it in for a larger engine and boat.

wbeaton

Commander

That's identical to my first outboard. I wish I had it. If I was you I'd buy it.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

You AINT going to waterski behind it, and DOUBT its a motor to get a boat on plane, BUT its motor thats a SWEET smooth runner, and will putt-putt ya anywhere ya want to go...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If you dont want it, send it in my direction !!!
Go for it. Buddy has one and uses it as a kicker on his 16 footer or on his 12 ft aluminum for the kids to use on the river. Never let him down yet with regular routine maintenance.
24:1 is the fuel / oil mix he is using as JB states as well.
Good luck with the purchase and keep posting how it runs for you.

TFO

Cadet

What a beauty!

I have a 1960 JW18R on may sailboat. The nice thing is the engines bacically stayed the same until 1978 so there are a lot of spareparts that fits between models.

I have replaced the drive with a 90deg one from a later model to improve thrust and uses an original (off the shelf!) 3-blade 5.5" pitch prop. (The black one in the attached picture is a 5.5" and the white a 4.5" pitch prop)

Ever get tired of it you have a buyer here.

Attachments

• NewAndOld.jpg
    NewAndOld.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 0

Tacoma Tom

Cadet

Sorry to bring this old thread up but since it deals with the exact motor i have i thought i might get away with it. I just have one question. I am not finding a gear switch on here. Is there one? Also there is a little turn switch on the one side, what is that? almost looks like a butterfly nut but not.

It seems to run great though, we got it with our little 14ft alum.

aganser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A friend of mine just brought me an identical motor to refurbish. It looks almost like new and hasn't been run in years. He couldn't get it started. I suspected the coils were bad. Sure enough they are. New ones can be ordered though.

The butterfly nut thingy is a fuel shut off valve. These motors don't have a gearshift but I think you pivot them 180 deg. for reverse.

Bob