Champion QL77JC4's only for 1989 70hp Johnson??

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been running NGK's for years without any problems but I have seen a lot of senior members on this board say to use only the Champions gapped @ .030. The owners manual says to use a .040 gap.What does the smaller gap provide in terms of performance or reliability? <br /><br /> Can anyone give me the reason for using only the Champions?Believe me, I will replace them in a heartbeat based on the collective decades of experience found from the members on here!!Thanks In Advance.

Walker

Captain
Re: Champion QL77JC4's only for 1989 70hp Johnson??

Its kinda like Blondes and Brunettes. OMC motors just prefer Champions.

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's a pretty scientific reason.Especially the part about....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It has to do with how OMC calibrated the fuel delivery system and combustion temps. They designed a specific motor to burn a specific ammount of fuel at a specific combustion temp range. The heat range of the plug has a lot to do with combustion temps. Basically its design parameters.<br /><br />Assuming we're talking about a motor thats set up correctly theres nothing saying that another brand cannot be used, the system just wasnt designed for that. If - a big if - another brand plug is used and its exactly the same heat range or cooler, the motor should be just fine. Its possible, and likely, that different brands are slightly off in heat range from each other. <br /><br />The range of the combustion temp has a cushion built in. Using a different plug may take away that cushion. The motor may still operate properly but if anything goes slightly wrong to increase the combustion temp and that "safe zone" cushion is gone and damage may happen.<br /><br />Some motors are more prone to this than others. On older motors that used a lot of fuel (therefore cooler combustion temps) this was not as much of a concern as newer, leaner burning motors. IE - the range was much wider and the motor more forgiving.<br /><br />Its not that NGK's are not a good plug. They are. Look at Mercs for example. The motor was designed with NGK's as the design parameter. Many times someone will install Champions in a Merc or Yamaha and complain about fouling the plugs. Does this mean Champions are junk? No, the motor just wasnt being used as intended.<br /><br />We use hotter plugs in performance and race motors all the time but we flow a lot of fuel. We make more power but still keep the combustion temps in check.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the other big difference is how the ign system handles the EMI. the ngk plugs are a carbon resistor type, the champion Q series are inductive resistance type. on certain motors the plugs EMI characteristics will affect the alarms and ECU's. my old 85 120 will use ql77 as well as br9hs plugs with no noticable difference. some of the 60* OMC stuff with do strange things with NGK plugs. suzukis with the micro processors have been known to bug out with champions. I always run what the manufacture reccomends.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

actually higher octane burns slower.

dolluper

Captain

reconmended gap of 40 was to do with leaded fuel unleaded takes 30 ,less to fire,more octane fires quicker

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

It was recommended by every Evinrude dealer within my local calling zone, to use only Champion plugs in my old '69 40HP. Not wanting to go against their advice, I installed the Champion plugs and was disapointed to have continuous fouling issues. Swapped them out for some NGK plugs, and have had no problems since.<br /><br />Are the older engines more likely to prefer NGK, and newer engines such as Calm's '89 prefer Champion? Just curious.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Was the thermostat out?<br /><br />Thats what we found -- direct cross overs from brand to brand sometimes run a tad warmer.

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Once again you guys have solid answers and I appreciate the advice and replies. :p