"Chain Anchor"

rczolman

Recruit
I was told that I need to make a "Chain Anchor" to fish the local river due to bottom debris. I was told it would take about 35lbs of chain for my size boat. Can some explain to me what this anchor is and how to make one.<br /><br />Thanks, FC :confused:

jaxsun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: "Chain Anchor"

an anchor on the end of a metal chain maybe?...could be something else tho...we dont have that problem in the bayous

Moody Blue

Captain

Is someone pulling your 'chain' :D ? Sorry, I couldn't resist. Not sure what it is but maybe the usual style anchors get caught on the debris on the bottom. The shear weight of the chain maybe keeps you 'anchored' and is less likely to get snagged.

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've seen them around here on drift boats. Looks like they take 2-3 foot pieces of heavy chain and connect them all together with something so you end up with a big octopus looking thing. No loops in the chains just all loose ends. Not sure what they use to put them all together but I suppose a long 1/2" eye bolt would do it.

peterc38

Seaman

In Maine on the Androscoggin river a lot of guys that fish for smallmouth bass in canoes use a length of chain to slow their drift. When we want to go slower, let out more chain, when we want drift faster, take some chain in. As Oregonducker mentioned, the guides in the drift boats do the same. It is not really an anchor in the truest sense, i.e. something to keep you from moving at all, just something to slow the drift and allow you to fish a lot more territory.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

The anchors your referring to are designed to anchor your boat, not slow it's drift. They work fine in rocky rivers if heavy enough. Get yourself an electric winch also. I prefer a solid chunk of lead but have and use both types. If your in my area let me know, I have lots of anchors iv'e found while diving.<br /> If you decide on a chain anchor and you use it on a low profile type boat you will also need to fabricate or buy a bow pulpit in order to keep the anchor from dragging in the water while underway.

rczolman

Recruit

Big Fun,<br /><br />You are on the right track. I am in Grand Rapids. Where would I find such a chunk of lead. I was told that the chain works best because other types of anchors do not pull out of debris as well. How does the lead do in this case? I have a 15' open bow aluminum and plan on fising the lower Grand in Grandville. I am not sure what the flow rate is here. Last question. If I go with the "chain", what do I attach the chains to? Thanks for any and all help.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen both types of anchors for sale at mom & pop type sport shops.<br /> The lead anchors have a flat top which causes them to snag more than the chains.<br /> My advise is to get the heaviest anchor you or your winch can handle. When you drop the anchor you do not want the boat to drag it into a snag.<br /> The grand is a old slow river with gravel, sand, mud, logs, concrete, tires/trash, human waste.<br /> The easiest way to make a chain anchor is to run a heavy wire thru the links. The best way is with a solid steel ring welded closed.<br />With a chain anchor you need to have a way to keep it from swinging and slapping your hull while underway.<br />Don't forget an extra prop.<br />And whenever you snag an anchor please leave at least a 20' length of anchor line attached so it will be easier for me to find while diving. :D

Bondo

Staff member

And I always thought a "Chain Anchor" was a length of chain, with a rope tied to an end link,+ the other end tied to the bow eye of the boat..................<br />
I have a 15' open bow aluminum and plan on fising the lower Grand in Grandville.<br /> "The grand is a old slow river with gravel, sand, mud, logs, concrete, tires/trash, human waste." <br />
I'd think that 10' of 1/2" Transport Grade chain would hold that boat,....... That's probably about 40/50lbs..........

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My chain anchor is really snag free. 30# +. I run the free end of the anchor rope thru the hole of the last link and then tie the free end to the boat. Let her down. Snags tight? I untied one end and I get my anchor line back. That is my best shot in bad bottoms. Used in high, fast, spring run off.