Central Auditory Processing

Kiwi Phil

Commander
My youngest, a boy, 11yrs, has been assessed by School, Speech Pathologist, Optomitrist, Paediotrician etc, and is being referred for Central Auditory Processing.<br />We have had it explained to us as checking if the message he hears is interpreted correctly by the brain. I think I have it right.<br />Has any one else had a child go through this.<br />We are concerned as he is slow to pick up concepts (maths, comprehension etc), plus his co-ordination with motor skills is slow. he has to practice/learn things, but the teacher tells us he is 1 of about 7 in the class (of 25) who experience difficulties. <br />We also know him to be very creative with things like building models out of boxes, play huts, irrigation works, infact anything around the property. <br />He loves arts like dance, song, music, acting etc, and is very good. <br />His day starts at dawn, and he only comes in side when he has too. <br />TV and associated games are not a part of his life. <br />He is a resiliant kid too. When he's been in trouble etc, he gets over it really quickly, in minutes, and is immediately happy again.<br />The only TV he follows is Frazier.<br /><br />So, has any other parent been through this testing with their child, and if so, what was the outcome/solution.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Central Auditory Processing

dude<br /> dont sweat it to bad. make sure he has no hearing or vision problems. Ill tell ya a secret<br /> I never learned the multiplication tables much past 6 however I can multiply and add it quick as most can recite it. I also cant write cursive. it escaped me forever and still does. I can sign my name and that is the extent of my cursive. also however,<br /> as I aged I learned to compensate cause I am motivated. I never took algebra nor prealgebra in school. I also graduated top in my class in the USN basic electronics, 13 weeks, FC (A) school advanced electronics 29 weeks and my CIWS FC (C) school 36 weeks. I also was the lead man and programmer with a machine shop. did all the CNC programs with an MT-4 word processor and a calculator with my machinist hand book close by. each character in the program had to be typed by hand for the X,Y, and Z coordinates. wanna tear your hair out, machine a 13" radius on a 4" part with a 1/32nd radius tool nose and then have QC check it on an optical comparator. as the distance from arc center to arc start to arc finnish changes the math does to. you start at the face cutting with the fwd edge of the tool nose and finnish with the aft edge.<br /> what I am trying to say is motivate him to read and comprehend what he read. I read a bit faster than most and was gifted with a memory that can recall paragraphs and page numbers but it takes work to achieve and maintain it. I was good at it in the navy schools but its slipping now.<br /> some times the best and brightest dont fit the average. Albert Einstien was considerd mentally retarded as was Thomas edison. lucky for the world their parents allowed them some liberties as to how they got schooled. yes I have 2 kids that have been classified "other learning disabled" but both have had IQ tests many times and always score between 130 and 139.<br />dont spend to much Time with the experts other than to make sure there is no physical problems.<br /> PS to this day I dont watch sports. I did learn how to play most but was never good at it. but I can fix most anything that is broke if I have a picture of it and a description of how it works.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> dont spend to much Time with the experts other than to make sure there is no physical problems.
Ditto to what rodbolt says. I don't profess to be an expert here, but the last thing you want is to destroy is the boys positive, can do attitude. And I have no doubt that some of the 'experts' would do a fine job of that. <br /><br />IMHO, if he gets to much pressure at school, find a place that will let him be good at what he does best. If he has trouble with some of the necessary fundamentals, you and the Mrs. should lovingly work with him on them.<br /><br />He sounds like a great kid. Make sure he stays that way.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

boomyal<br /> thats why we finaly had to homeschool our daughter.<br /> but trust me home schooling is not for the faint hearted :) <br />but in addition to high school I sent her to oklahoma to a horseshoing trainingschool whenshe was 17. she taveled from kitty hawk to oklahoma then on to seattle WA all by her lonsome. its about 2200miles from here to ok and about 3000miles to seattle. she was on her own allsummer and excelled, came back and finnished high school. her mom and some quack therapist had talked her intoquitting school at age 16. I had to beg on my knees to get her reenrolled but I did and now she has a diploma in horseraining/shoeing and a high school diploma.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Kiwi, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and don't claim to be, but I can tell you this.<br />I have 3 girls and one of them was "slower" than the other 2, you notice I said was, and we also were told at and early age(8), that she had a learning disability and needed to go to a special school.<br /><br />Well, 24 years ago ol spinner could not afford that so I did the only thing I could at the time and that was to have her eyes and hearing checked.<br />They were fine. So we went from there, working with her till about the age of 15, then all of a sudden she took off, and now is a RN at one of the local hospitals here and making about as much money as the so called experts that told us she needed all this special stuff.<br /><br />Get the boys eyes and hearing checked and if they are ok, then like has been said, take your time and work with him and he will come around, you'll see.<br /><br />Good luck and keep us posted, we do care.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

spinner<br /> I am hip<br /> but its difficult to swallow a so caled X spurt, she made 23 k a year with 4 years of college and a degree and 2 years experience. she also had no kids and therefore had no "mileage" my tax records show I have billed labor from 65k to 90 k for the past 10 years or so with no parts sales includeed, I would never do cash jobs and cut uncle sammy. soI had to sit in front of the yahoo counslers and therapists and teachers that were less then 25 years old and make nothing and listen to the BS. you have to be polite or they call social services. between my ex and the school I have been investigated 6 times and had two in home investigations. all cause if they be a dumbass I am foolish enough to tell them. so far the harshest letter I got was dont yell at the kids.<br /> so be careful involving the school. here in the states social service people can interview your child and make decisions without your knowledge or consent at school.<br /> and if you question them or the motive they label you as a bad parent.<br /> my greatest glory was shoving my daughters high school doploma under the conslers hippo nose when she graduated.

PW2

Commander

I agree with most to be wildly skeptical of the so-called experts. There is a ton they don't know about the brain, and I don't pretend to know much about it, but I am familiar with special ed in schools.<br /><br />You as a concerned, involved parent are the best judge of what your child needs, along with a fair bit of trial and error. Trust your gut when dealing with the experts, and don't assume they know anything more than you do. Trust the rule that any program has to make sense before you try it, and make sure there are clearly defined and measurable goals.<br /><br />I have a daughter who has been blind since age 5, and she is graduating this spring from University with a degree in Software Engineering, and excluding a couple years living in Canada where they offered some real help, I can say that she is succeeding in spite of the help she has received from the professionals, and not because of it.<br />And that continues to this very day, to the point where she no longer even avails herself of any services offered by the disabled student services office she at her University.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

These so-called –professionals have done much harm in trying to diagnose and judge our children. They have turned kids into druggies with their over anxious desire to prescribe Ridlin to students that they have labeled as having “attention deficit disorders” <br />When I was in school 50 years ago this nonsense was unheard of and kids learned to deal with their problems without some government bureaucrat trying to label and stigmatize them.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

My experience is no different than those posted above, so I'll give you the condensed-version.<br /><br />My wife and I both work, so our children have been in daycare, and are no stranger to the classroom setting. We've heard various things from the teachers/caregivers about our eldest, including that they felt he was ADHD.<br /><br />Last year he starts kindergarten, and right away the teacher (with 20+ years in teaching) thinks he has a problem. Back and forth we go for several months, when we finally went to an "expert". $5,000 later, the expert confirmed what we had been telling the teacher and administrator all along - the kid wasn't being challenged, was bored, so was causing problems. He used to hate going to school, even to the point of getting so upset he'd get sick.<br /><br />Fast forward a year. Administrator has left, and he's now in 1st grade. Teacher is much better at handling kids with different abilities, and he now loves going to school. Not quite straight-A's, but that's OK - the teacher is challenging him, and it really shows!<br /><br />My point is that there's no such thing as an "expert", whether it be a teacher with many years of experience, or someone with a lot of diplomas on the wall. You're doing the right thing in seeking out advice. Take-in everything you get, and come to your own conclusion. As others have mentioned, there are programs that will help. Just take your time - as urgent as this might seem, it's taken years to get here, so a few weeks ain't gonna hurt!

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Kiwi Phil<br /><br />I don't have a kid with the same issue but I do have one with a parallel issue.<br /><br />I'm going to contradict some of the previous posters about experts. <br /><br />Experts deserve to be trusted and their advice should be followed. The problem is to determine who are really experts and who are just well-intentioned drones, useless seat warmers, up-themselves pud-pullers, or just plain incompetents and fools.<br /><br />My nearly 15 y.o. son had a lot of what we, and his teachers, thought were motivation and self-discipline problems in primary school. An alert teacher picked up a speech impediment (pre-stuttering) in early primary school for which he received speech therapy, although it embarrassed him.<br /><br />He was, and is, a very bright kid as verified by rigourous IQ testing that cost us a pretty penny in primary school as part of trying to work out what was going on.<br /><br />From middle primary school he had more and more problems at school which I won't bore you with. He finished primary school on a sour note.<br /><br />Secondary school started brilliantly and we thought he was blossoming.<br /><br />Second year of secondary school it all turned to sh!t. Nothing serious on any individual issue but the cumulative effect was that he was at risk of being expelled if he continued on his downward path. <br /><br />I suspected there was something deeper. I spoke to his teachers, during the many happy times I was called to the school, about whether he might have some form of learning difficulty. Or maybe some kind of faint autism. Or something. No. Definitely not in their professional opinion. The kid was just rebellious and disobedient and needed to learn discipline. Same but less definite attitude from the school counsellors. All the educational experts had spoken.<br /><br />The kid was going down at school and at home. Give a dog a bad name. Endless conflict and problems but always over minor stuff. But very, very wearing for his mother and me, and his younger sister. And, most of all, him.<br /><br />Poor little bugger was drowning. He knew it but didn't know why and everybody else apart from me, not that most of the time I didn't feel he needed a solid kick in the arse, said he just needed to learn to swim.<br /><br />Took him to my doctor who's a rough bloke (we get on very well) and a sharp cookie. He referred us to a paedetrician. Various tests and questionnaires of us and teachers. Paedetrician says he has mild Attention Deficit Disorder. He's seen tons of kids who are brighter than average who hit the wall in early secondary school because the technical demands of various subjects exceed their ability to get by on natural ability. Oddly enough, independent research supports his view.<br /><br />Everybody we know is a bloody expert on ADD and all other disorders. They all say it's BS and the disorder doesn't exist etc etc etc. The less contact they have with their kids and the more marriages they've stuffed up, the bigger expert they are.<br /><br />Funny thing is that the medication prescribed by our expert turned our boy around in a very short time. Funnier thing is that when he's off medication he reverts to his earlier conduct, although it's getting less bad as time progresses. <br /><br />Even funnier, all his teachers who were thinking about expelling him half way through last year gave him glowing reports at year's end and complimented him on his huge improvement in conduct, attitude and academic performance.<br /><br />The kid who never finished an assignment, or even a task in class, in primary school and in the first year and a half of secondary school now comes home from school and often gets his homework done straight off. Like I've always told him: work first, play later. He hasn't got a quarter of the homework he used to have which overwhelmed him because most of that was stuff he didn't finish in class.<br /><br />He's way happier. We're happier as a family. He's doing real well, near the top of the class overall instead of phenomenal results in a few tests but failing overall because he didn't finish work, not to mention other problems.<br /><br />Our expert saved our kid. <br /><br />If you have the right expert, it's the best advice you'll get. <br /><br />Unfortunately there's no test to determine when you have the right expert.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Why is it that every thing a kid does that isn't normal (what ever that is), has a syndrome name?<br /><br />Some kids are just slower than others.<br /><br />Yes there is medication for ADD, but it is nothing more than a "downer". It mildly dopes the kid so he doesnt get distracted by every little thing.<br /><br />I am not saying drugging your kid is right or wrong, but the medical community has glossed over the fact that this is what the drugs do. They arent a cure.<br /><br />Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

tinkerer<br /> I know the path.my daughter was diagnosed ADD and later bipolar. its a tough deal and I found half the doctors are idiots and most school counslers are worse. but if ya hang in there it can get better. if you see it aint working try another path. and watch out for the do-gooders at social services. man what a bunch

Stratosfied

Ensign

This is the thing that sticks out for me, out of a class of 25, about 7, have "difficulities"???. I ain't no expert by any strech but 28% of the class!!! I think the instructors and 'experts', need to get better.<br /><br />However, that being said, IF, that percentage is correct, then there may be and environmental or other problems in that area. Just a thought. I do hope that all gets worked out.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Why is it that every thing a kid does that isn't normal (what ever that is), has a syndrome name?<br /><br />Some kids are just slower than others.<br /><br />Yes there is medication for ADD, but it is nothing more than a "downer". It mildly dopes the kid so he doesnt get distracted by every little thing.<br /><br />I am not saying drugging your kid is right or wrong, but the medical community has glossed over the fact that this is what the drugs do. They arent a cure.<br /><br />Ken
Ken, <br />"Downers" are not prescribed for ADD; stimulants are. I take 60mg of dexedrine every morning. Somebody without ADD taking that doseage would be bouncing off the walls. I am not "doped" mildly or otherwise. Reason it works is that it stimulates the production or facilitates useage of a brain chemical, dopamine, which must used efficiently or present in sufficient quantities in order to concentrate.<br /><br />If there's a physical problem get it treated, is all I can say. Diagnosis often is by trial and error. Don't be too quick to "poo-poo" the experts, but don't be afraid to listen to your instincts either.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, there certianly are some interesting answers and opinion's but none seem to adress your question Phil. Seems to me that some here seem to have Centeral auditory processing deficieancies :D I wish I could offer some assistance here to ya but instead could only in good humor point this out. Let us know what the "experts" make of the situation and how it turns out for your talented son that is not fitting in to these neat little molds that everyone wants to classify children by.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I'd hate to see the classification the "experts" would give me if I was 10 yrs old right now.<br /><br /><br />Perhaps your son is destined to be a great artist. He sounds very creative, and he possibly doenst repond well to the restrictive rules of math.<br /><br />Ken

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I havn't overlooked your replies.<br />I have read them many times and touched by them, and the experiences you have had. <br />Makes my issue somewhat insignificant really.<br />I need a little time to think out an appropriate reply so bear with me.<br />Thanks everyone. I will be back.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip<br /> On a lighter note, right on the button Neumans :D

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br /> Makes my issue somewhat insignificant really.<br />
Mate, when it's your kid and they're suffering it's never insignificant.<br /><br />Look on the bright side. Most parents moan that they can't get their kids away from the TV to play outside. <br /><br />If he can be happy whatever happens, what more could anyone want? The lack of a sense of guilt in a kid for what others regard as wrongdoing is frustrating beyond belief as I well know, but don't we all say the things we want most for our children are to be healthy and happy? But when they're happy in circumstances we don't think they should be happy in, we think there's something wrong with them and want to make them feel unhappy. Doesn't make sense. <br /><br />Just because he doesn't fit into the boxes prescribed by Child Conformity 101 in teacher's college for some teacher who hasn't even had a kid means nothing. <br /><br />He sounds like a kid with a lot going for him. It just needs to be capitalised on.<br /><br />CAPD and ADD and ADHD and a range of other related or similar disorders, which people who don't have them or have children with them confidently assure you don't exist on the basis of their extensive medical and research knowledge, all have the great advantage that any kid diagnosed with them nowadays and treated appropriately is a lot better off than they ever were in the past. At least we don't compound their problems by making them stand in the corner with a dunce's cap or accuse them of having the devil in them or try to belt education or conformity into them.<br /><br />He's in good company with a lot of potential: http://www.adhdrelief.com/famous.html <br /><br />Kids who don't fit the conventional mould in childhood can become adults who don't fit it in adulthood, and then shine because they're able to see and think and hear differently to the common herd.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> tinkerer<br /> I know the path.my daughter was diagnosed ADD and later bipolar. its a tough deal and I found half the doctors are idiots and most school counslers are worse. but if ya hang in there it can get better. if you see it aint working try another path. and watch out for the do-gooders at social services. man what a bunch
Exactly right!<br /><br />Before I consulted my doctor I explored a few other options. <br /><br />Like the medical doctor we were referred to by a disorder association. She was into family therapy big time. All problems emanated from problems in the family dynamic, whatever that is. We just have to spend 20 years finding out what the problems are. Like the men p!ss standing up and aggressively leave the seat up (like the sheilas don't aggressively leave it down) which makes the women feel like they're being subordinated every time a bloke goes to the toilet and these power imbalances have to be resolved to balance the power in the family. Had one very, very long interview. She takes a big family history three generations back on both sides from my kid who has the problem. Clearly she's big on her strange brand of psychoanalytical theory and abstract BS. Once she gets a sniff of the stuffed up life I had in an unlucky and dysfunctional family I left when I was 15, and saner than the crew I left, it's clear this is where we're going to spend the rest of the planet's life trying to work out what's wrong with my kid. Didn't go back. <br /><br />Just because they've got the title doesn't mean they have a clue, although they're all well intentioned.<br /><br />It might have been Oscar Wilde who said something like: "He said of him the worst you can say of any man: He meant well.".